Storing Food

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acbieri

Smile God Loves YOU :-D
If you buy in Bulk and have alot of food extra what's the best way to store it?

I store mine in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. You can get them at Home Depot or Fred Meyer/Krogers in the garden section.

I use big tupperware containers that are air tight, works great and easy to store. Make sure not to have it in the sun, and don't freeze it, that just takes away from the nutrients and does not make it last longer.

a 10 gallon tote holds 25lbs of food perfectly..with a little room to spare :)

well I only have 4 chins but I get 10 lbs and try to keep it in the original packaging. We do keep it refrigerated and ours seem to like it when we do that. I was told that refrigerating does nothing to keep it fresh but I guess old habits dye hard I can't stop putting it in there.

I found some huge "Ziplock/Space Bag" type bags. I have gotten 50lbs of PANR and have gone through about 15lbs. Seems to work very well, it looks and smells yummy. One of those "Ziplock" type companies sells large bags, I'm not sure but I think those keep the food fresher than buckets and totes esp. when you have a small amount of chins.

Mine goes into an air-tight pet food container. I fit about half a bag of PANR in there, the rest of it goes to the Animal Shelter.

I use some stackable pet food containers that I got at the pet store. They seal pretty good and it keeps the food nice and fresh. BTW, I get a 50 lb. bag when I get feed and it lasts my 6 chins about 3 -4 months.

I also use pet food storage containers. I would think any air tight container would work well.

I would say anything that's air-tight would be good also. Especially if there's a small amount of chins...like me. :)

Back