squished the chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaeway

Scurries!!!
Ok, so during play time Teddy got under the couch and just starting squeaking. When he starts this he never comes out on his own. So I moved the couch forward a bit and lifted the front end. When I looked under I had him pinned between the back edge of the couch and the floor and he was wiggling. :cry4: He's hopping around the cage just fine, but I wanted to know if there was anything I may need to keep an eye out for, or if I should take him in for x rays. I was mortified when I looked under the couch. He's my second fav and I don't know what I would do if I lost him. He's eating and begging for treats, so I guess he's ok, but I just wanted some outside advice.

I'd find an area that is much more chin proof. Pachuco loves wedging himself under the fridge and we have to use a long stick to slide him out.

I am not sure how much pressure the couch applied, but I would watch his intake and exhaust to make sure nothing internal is wrong. That would be the way to tell in my opinion. But I would definitely find a different place for play time. Check out the cardboard slabs people use to make a play pen if you don't have a suitable room. For about $30 you can get 25 2' x 4' sheets and build a safe zone in the middle of your living room where your chin can do whatever he/she wants.

I have playtime in my living room still, but I put cardboard around the couch so they can't get under it.
As far as him getting wedged by the couch, I would definitely watch him for a day or two and see if he is moving weird at all. If he is then def. take him to the vet for x rays.

oh i hope he's okay. I would take him to the vet just to make sure nothing broke inside.

Jean

I agree with Jean, I would bring him in, chins hide injury very well, and he may have a broken leg or foot and not even limp. And definitely get a new playtime space!

I agree with Jean, too. I would take him in for xrays. He could have broken something (like a rib) and you may not see him act any different.

I'm not going to repeat it but I will agree that you should do all of the above.

I especially agree with a new chin play area. There are so many thing he could ingest under there and you would never know until it was too late, all the strings and fabric... *shudders*. I you don't want to make a big play pen I would suggest a different room and/or putting something to bar his way. We used to use a couple of 2"x4"s to block them from getting under the furniture.

I just wanted to add that if the rest of the room is safe and its just the couch you can also surround the couch with fleece. I used to do this in my bedroom to keep the out from under my bed.

The rest of the room is safe, and I've tried the cardboard blockage for the couch, but they make it a mission to break it down and get either under or behind. Teddy is the only one to get under now that I think about it...Man they squich down small, it's only two 1/2 inches or so. I like the idea of fleece though. I could staple it to the wall and then stick it to the couch from behind and then stuff it underneath. Such a good idea. So far he's moving ok, I'm going to the store to get some fleece to put a liner in his cage so I can track poo's easily. Yeah definatly moving good. We just had a run around the cage like a mad chin moment. Thanks guys!!!

I just wanted to add ad suggestion for chinproofing under the couch. This really only works if you have a skirted couch, but we installed 2x4's underneath. We just cut them to fit all four sides of the couch and drilled them into the frame. Then at playtime I put pillows between the back sides of the couch and the wall. No chins can get under or behind.

Latest posts

Back