Soft poo, new kits

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamiJami

I just brought 2 kits home 3 days ago. I figured they would have soft poo since the drive and moving is stressful. The breeder gave me their food so they've been getting the same kind, as well as the same hay. I do want to switch them to the mazuri I have, but won't start until their stools are normal. How long should I wait to see if the stress will stop and their poo will get back to normal? I have been sitting in front of their cage and talking to them. One of them will come up to me and let me pet him a little. Should I just not do any of it?
Any tips will be great!

Oh, and I read about giving probiotics. I know for my rabbits, I have to force feed that to them. Since I know picking the chins up is stressful, shouldn't I not do that?

Thanks again

What kind of water do you use? Water can also affect the poos in a chin that has been rehomed. If they came from a super filtered water and you are using tap - that could be part of the problem.

I would not switch their food until they are older, since you are already having issues with their stools and since this is one of the issues that many people have with Mazuri. You may just compound the problem.

Do they eat hay (as in, have you offered it and they munch on it)? If they do, I would pull all the pellets, offer them lots of hay, pulling it out if it gets soiled and replenishing it for a day, maybe 2. I would also definitely check into the probiotic or ancidophilus. You can very slightly dampen some hay and sprinkle it on there or you can offer them a quarter or half of a bite sized shredded wheat with it sprinkled on that as well (after slightly dampening it).

How old are these kits?

I just open up the probiotic capsules and sprinkle it on their food, so the injest it without really noticing. Are the new kits quarantined?

Congrats on your new additions!

Let me try to answer it all. I don't know what kind of water they were getting but they're getting filtered water from a PUR filter. It's what we use for Zipper and the rabbits. They eat hay like it's going out of style! But they rush to their pellet bowl when I give pellets (morning and night). What's the name of the capsule probiotic? I've only delt with a gel form that I got from the vet. How long should I do straight hay? Until it's all better? How do I introduce back the pellets? I read that you shouldn't pull pellets for youngins. Ezio was born 10/11/10, Altair was born 11/1/10

Yes they're quarantined, but together. They're from the same breeder and were weaned together and such.

I would pull them just for a day, plenty of hay, give them the probiotic (which you can get in a paste form at PetSmart/Petco as well as a powder capsule at a health food store of pharmacy), then continue with the hay and slowly reintroduce pellets. Again, I would not do a pellet switch for a while. Get their systems under control first.

I've had to do this with little ones with loose poops after weaning, and they do fine with it. The one that was born 11/01 probably shouldn't have left home yet. That's just my opinion though, others may disagree. I generally wean at 8 weeks, then keep them for 2 weeks just to be sure something like this doesn't happen. It gives them time to adjust to the weaning, make sure they are gaining and growing well, etc.

I would also just give hay for a while. The probiotic is a good thing also - some people use benebac. I have used it sometimes when needed. Sometimes just the stress of going from their original home to a new can cause some stool problems. A lot of breeders let their kits go at 8 weeks especially if they are a good weight. I don't but lots of breeders do with no problems. I have heard people use Petpelin' (I am sure I spelled it wrong) and you will have to ask others how much. Probably just a drop with young kits. Also another thought I see you have rabbits - are you washing your hands and arms when handling the rabbits and then handling the young kits.

Rabbits and chins have separate play times. I wash my hands well especially after the rabbits since I am technically allergic to them. I know about the...forget the name of the germ.

Back