So Upset.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovinHedgies

So I finally got an update from one of the hoglets that I recently rehomed. I rehomed him to a couple that already had a female hoglet and initially were thinking about breeding in the future. I talked to them about the importance of having a lineage and knowing that the females line is free from WHS. After talking with them, they contacted the breeder that they got their female from and never got a response. I also contacted that breeder to see if they had lineage on their adult hedgehog and I got no response. So the end result was that they were not going to breed that female and that they just wanted to have another hedgie for a pet. This couple is very nice and seemed trustworthy.
HOWEVER, I got an email today stating that the first night they brought my male hoglet home they had him "in a gated section of (female's hoglets) cage - when we woke up in the morning they were two little snuggle lumps under (female hoglets) fleece blanket." And that now the male hoglet is in his own enclosure.
I replied that the male hoglet could not have any contact with their female hoglet and that she may already be pregnant. I do not think that this female hoglet is even 6 months old yet. I am worried for the female's safety and I feel like I have failed the hedgehog community. I sold a hedgehog and that now he is being used to have a "oops" litter :(
I guess I just needed to vent, because I am really upset. I thought I had done a good job picking out homes and that the people were knowledgable about hedgehogs. And I have no idea what do to now. I want my hoglet back. I'm sure that they are taking care of him, but I feel betrayed and hurt. I offered to help them if their female does end up pregnant and I told them to mark their calendars 30-45 days after the night the hedgehogs were found together....
I just don't know what to do about this situation.

You can never really know someone--it happens more times than we wish. I know this upsets you--so sorry!

Sadly people are good at deceit. Finding homes can be difficult and it's usually putting a lot of trust in people you don't really know.

I highly doubt I will be rehoming/selling any hedgehogs to unknown people anymore. Its just too stressful and upsetting. I found two amazing homes for two of the hoglets, but having one home be questionable after the process was over is not acceptable. I had been talking to this couple for so long...

Aw, I'm sorry that happened. Unfortunately, there's no way to know for sure how someone will act and no way to control someone else's behavior--even when you know them well. You can try to make sure that things like this aren't likely to happen but you can't ensure they won't. Try not to beat yourself up about it, sometimes there really is nothing you could have done.

I'm sorry this happened but unfortunately, we never know for certain who the people are that we adopt to. They can seem so nice and have all the correct answers.

Why was he in part of the females cage in the first place? What type of cage did they tell you they had for him? Obviously they are outright liars!

I am willing to bet, that was totally planned. Although there are some true escapes and oops pregnancies, most of the time it was the persons intentions all along.

Really, there isn't much you can do about it. Did they sign a no breeding contract? Even so, since they are claiming an oops. Are they active on any of the hedgehog forums or lists? If so, you can at least keep an eye on them and maybe point out that they need to use a better caging option.

They have a C&C cage for him, but said that they were afraid that the heating system wasn't working right the evening they brought him home which is why they gated him off in a portion of the female's C&C cage. The lady didn't think he would be able to get to the female, however I can only go by what they tell me and my gut says differently.....
I have no problem with people breeding hedgehogs I sell them as long as it is done responsibly with qualified hedgehogs. Heck, someone had to take a chance on me selling me hoglets. But its very very upsetting when people do the oppostie of what they say.
As far as I know they are not active on hedgehog forums. I know they do have a login name for one of the two hedgehog forums, but do not post. They said that they use the forums for research and like to read the posts once in a while. Which is what I used to do, if I had a question I would search for an answer.
I just hope that she actually takes precautions now and that she takes my advice at assuming her female is pregnant...

Here's an email from the gal that took the male with the darker face mask - This is her first hedgehog and she was sooo excited :)
"Everything is going great! Quinn is doing awesome, he's been really cuddly the last few days. He's very content to sprawl out and take a nap on my tummy lol. He's such a cute boy, last night when I woke him up he did a big stretch, stuck he tongue out all the way and then yawned."
This email certinately made me feel better :) She is enjoying him so much! I'm so gald the hoglets got their mothers personality!! lol

Hmmm, if they are using a C&C and divided it off, then he very likely escaped into her side. C&C's are very difficult to make baby proof short of having solid full height walls of coroplast and even then some hedgehogs are very good at climbing.

I had 6 week old boy escape his 13" high bin. All he had was a hedgie bag and his food dishes. It was his first night away from mom and siblings and he got over 13" high walls. He was a small boy too.

Latest posts

Back