Should I try treats again?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus_4

My lil chin (named Gus) gave me a scare about 3 months ago. I had had him for about 2 weeks at that point and he was starting to settle in. I gave him a few treats (i have a bunch of organic treats like goji berries, Hibiscus, Jasmine buds, etc.). I probably only gave him a 2-4 across that week. Now, he was quite new at the time. Within a few days he started having softer poops and then started having super small ones. We took him into the vet to make sure everything was fine (he had a past with Giardia) , and he suddenly started pooping fine at the vet. He has been perfect ever since. But now I want to start training him and I also just want a reward on hand. Is it fine to slowly start trying treats again? This would obviously be super slow, since they are supposed to have treats sparingly anyway, but just want to make sure it’s okay :)

It sounds like something you gave him didn't agree with him and once it was out of his system he was fine again, chins can have an intolerance to certain foods just like humans and other animals. I know the goji berries are high in sugar and should only be given 1 per month at most (personally I don't give them at all), so that wont work as a training treat anyway. I would start with just giving one treat (as in one bit of hibisus or one jasmine bud) then wait a few days to watch to make sure he is ok with it, then the next week try another one, and go down the list of treats you want like that. That way you'll hopefully figure out which treat caused the issue so you'll know not to give that one again.

A safer idea then using treats is to use chew sticks or pieces of hay (some chins like certain parts like the seed heads) for training, both can be given unlimited. Save the actual treat for at the very end as the jackpot reward.

Back