Should I take him to the vet?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirbiscuit

Hi everyone, if this should be posted in behavior instead please let me know.

Biscuit is a really nervous chinchilla though he has mellowed out as he got older. He used to bite his feet to the point where it would bleed a ton and was put on a small amount of gabapentin for his nervousness. He was okay for a few years but 2 days ago my neighbor started demolishing their home and the noise is obviously very loud. We also had a bad thunderstorm pass through.

Biscuit started biting his feet again yesterday (it bled a little bit) but he has started biting his hands too and is pawing at his mouth a little. I'm not sure if this is from nervousness bc of the noise or something else and don't want to take him to the vet unless I have to so I don't increase his anxiety. He has small little wounds on his hands and feet too.

He's been eating/drinking and pooping as usual though he has been just a tiny bit more lethargic.

Should I take him to the vet just in case or do you guys think he's just nervous again? Thanks

I think it might be worth taking him to the vet, even if it's just nervousness again since he is causing physical harm so he may need some calming meds again. Pawing at the mouth could also be a sign something is wrong in his mouth so it's worth getting checked out too.

Back