shedding or fighting?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaeway

Scurries!!!
So over the last couple of weeks I have been finding huge tufts of fur in Moche and Shadow's cage. It seems to all have been from Moche. It goes in a circle around his back and a few other spots. He seems to have shrank he lost so much fur. I haven't heard anything, but I am gone all day. They play fine, just harrass the other chins, but nothing unusual. Shadow is fine. There isn't any soft poo or blood, he does seem a bit more timid, although he did leap out of the top door the other night, so maybe not. Should I be concerned? Maybe seperate them? is there anything in particular I should watch for? Thanks!

As soon as I get internet at the house again I'll post some pics, unless I can do it from work. And when I say circle, it starts around his shoulders and goes around his rump in a fairly even line. There are some spots up top but nothing major, just that weird line...

If you even suspect fighting you should seperate them until you are sure, but I doubt that a chinchilla would shed that much, I'm not 100% sure though on the shedding.

I would still seperate them, just incase.

Huge tufts of fur is not shedding, that is fur slippage, most likely from fighting. The chin jumping out of the cage when you open the door is a sign of stress, so I would say he is being chased by the other chin. Separate them immediately.

For and FYI, when chins shed you typically do not notice it. You'll find pieces of hair on things around the room, more than usual and mostly in the summer months instead of winter. When the fur sheds off of them, it does not come off in clumps but rather small amounts of whispy hair that float away easily.

I was afraid of that. They do this on occasion but I ususally hear something or see it. Ah well, time to get the top liners out and the extra house...Thanks!!

Well they are seperated. The funniest thing is I have the cages next to each other and they sleep together through the cage. Silly boys. I'm keeping them apart until Moche's fur comes back in.

Back