Scared...VERY scared...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Diva Chins

I found a vet that's exactly 43 minutes away (I have the mapquest) that deals with exotics that I originally found while putting together the magic binder (Haha, yeah, okay) and I made an appointment for Bubbles on Saturday. I'm pretty sure she has arthritis, they said they could see her and had arthritis meds for chins. I asked if they had ANY experience with chins and they said a girl who works there has chins and they've dealt with hers and the vet is experienced in exotics.
Does anyone have ANY pointers on how to tell if this vet is any good or a whack job? I'm scared for my girl, but they did tell me they'd have to weigh her and determine dosage by her weight which is a good sign. Just call me crazy but I don't trust many people with my fur kids...

You could always ask for references. I would also ask the members on here what meds. should not be given, and what is normal to give. That way if a vet tells you to give a particular med. then you have an idea whether its a good idea or not. You can always ask if you can pick up the meds. the next day and come home and research the meds. that they want to prescribe. I'm very picky about vets and ask tons of questions before I even bring my pets in. I also visit the vet before hand too.

I called another place earlier than that, they're going to call me back at 1 PM so I can speak to the vet myself, he's in surgery right now. Oh man, I'm so nervous...I just don't want to hand my baby over to an idiot.

There used to be a Vet on here with C+Q's - but don't know if she[?] followed over. I think she was a breeder, too, or at least had a few chins.
I think Tunes knew her - might P.M. her.

Ask the vet what they would give for an eye infection, and what they would give for a URI, and how to do aftercare for a sick chin. That will let you know if they know what they are doing- to a degree of course. Then come let us know and we will see if they know what they are doing.

Okay, the vet who I was supposed to go to Saturday said that they thought it'd be fine to give Bubbles some FELINE ARTHRITIS MEDICATION in smaller doses. So...I'm not going. There is another vet who promised to research it, call vets in other states, get opinions, and then call me back by next week. I think she'll be okay til then...

Has this chinchilla actually been seen by a vet and given a thorough examination? Where has the "diagnosis" of arthritis come from?
Personally I think you're ahead of yourself and are jumping to conclusions.

You need to find a chinchilla competent vet and actually see them first with the cihn before you start dismissing them out of hand.

Did you ask what the feline medication was? There are some meds that completely safe for more than just one species. Also agreed its best to let the vet examine her, Xrays are the only sure way to see if she has arthritis. Or if it might be something else - minor injury while bouncing around her cage, maybe a minor digestive issue that just makes her not feel like rolling all that much - could be many things, or just nothing at all.
~Barb~

No, I didn't ask about the medication name. Arthritis was just a personal guess since when a lot of animals (And humans) get older, they tend to get it and I want to find a vet that is VERY experienced in chins (Which the first didn't seem to be that much, what worried me was when I asked if they'd seen many chins she said "Well, a girl who works here brings her chinchilla in occasionally and he's done real good") But my second call seemed to be at a very good clinic. They were very hands on with exotics and had seen quite a few, so I'm thinking about possibly calling them back tomorrow and seeing when the soonest I could bring her in. I have a good feeling about them, but I'm still so super nervous...

I dont blame you - trust your gut. If you didnt feel right with that 1st vet, then dont go. Hopefully this other one is good and can help you & your lil girl.
~Barb~

I dont blame you - trust your gut. If you didnt feel right with that 1st vet, then dont go. Hopefully this other one is good and can help you & your lil girl.
~Barb~

Yeah, I'm hoping this second vet will be the answer to my prayers. They seemed so smart concerning chinchillas, they seemed refined, like they actually cared what their customers thought. Listened to me rant and rave about how worried I was, how much she meant to me, etc. Just said "I completely understand, I'm that way with my own pets." and let me rant about how I first came across her. They were dolls.

Back