RIP Rachel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually Rachel died 2 weeks ago. Until now I just could not put it into words. That is how I 'deal with things like that'. I cry like crazy when it happens. Then my mind 'puts it away' , letting it seep in a little at a time as the days go by. After 2 weeks I can finally deal with it.
Rachel was the chin that I have been hand feeding for 6 years. 6 years ago she went to the vet with teeth problems. She had her teeth filed down and was sent home. She did have x-rays at some point - it showed some root involvement. She went to the vets every 3-4 months to have her teeth filed and she bounced right back - happy as can be. She absolutely refused to eat on her own. I did try to get her to eat on her own but she just lost weight when it did. I had no problems at all when it came to hand feeding her. She opened her mouth like a bird when she saw the syringe. She kept a real good weight (about 750-780g) when had fed. Because she had to be hand fed, she went all over with me when I traveled. She had gone to Mass.,MI, Ohio, western PA, Tenn. several times when I visited my son, Maryland and VA. She was an experienced 'camper'
Unfortunately the last 6 months, she had to go to the vets about every 8 weeks. As time went on, it was getting shorter and shorter between visits. The last time she went to the vet, 2 tooth had to be removed because they were rotten. After that she really did not bounce back. She was eating fine, until the night before she died. I was going to take her to the vet the next day. That morning I found her dead.
She is very much missed. She is now pain free and eating on her own. Although I sometimes wondered if she didn't love the extra attention she got with the hand feeding and going everywhere with me. RIP Rachel - I will see you at the Rainbow bridge at some point.

So sorry for your loss...I know how you must have really bonded with this girl since you were hand feeding her for so long...she was truly special.
just know that she is up in chinnie heaven chewing on apple sticks and pumice and running and popcorning.
take care and hugs.....

What dedication, Barb. Rachel must have been extraordinarily special and I'm so sorry she has passed on. :(

You know she loved you... and I bet she loved all that attention, too. You will see her again someday.

:flowers5:

I am so sorry to hear this Barb. I know how much you loved her and her stories of travel & handfeeding always gave me hope for Richie. I hope you find comfort in knowing she is popcorning and pain free. I am sure your camping trips will not be the same.

Latest posts

Back