Rest in peace Max....

• Thread starter ilovemytwochins
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

ilovemytwochins

I have never experienced a pet loss so sudden as what happened last night with Max, my male chinchilla. :eek:(
I was cleaning the cage and he was out with Ruby running around. As always, all doors were shut and there was no access to electrical hazards or dietary hazards. As I finished up the cage, I turned around to look for the two and round them up. I found Max lying on the carpet with his head to the side only about half responsive. I checked his airway and felt his abdomen for any bloat. What made it even more difficult was that I was home alone at the time with just my three year old and he kept asking what was wrong with "Maxy". Max passed away in my arms after about ten minutes.
Of course, Ruby seems upset today and barked at me when I offered her a shredded wheat and some rubs.

Can someone please tell me what could have happened? It was not too hot in the house; always at 68. Could it have been something as sudden as a heart attack? Max was an adoptee, so I only had an approx. age on him, which would have made him only about 4 or 5. No other signs EVER of any health problems, just a very sweet chinchilla that is already missed very badly. :cry3:

poor Max :( Again I am soooooo sorry Melissa! Mitzie got extra love today for her Daddy. I know Max is up there with Tiny Tim and my Chilli (my first chin) bouncing off the walls of Heaven. You have a precious "package" on it's way to you and of course it will never replace your dear Max but it will make Max happy to know that his Ruby will not be lonely for long

Do you think he might have jumped up on a chair or something and then jumped down but landed wrong? It just seems so odd!

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart broke when I read this.

I am so sorry for your loss. My only thought is that since chins are a prey species and hide their illnesses he could have been sick or injured for a little while with out you knowing? If it will bring you peace of mind some vets may do a necropsy for free. I had a vet do it once because she wanted to learn more about chin anatomy to help future animals. As heartbreaking as the loss was I found closure, and hopefully other chins have been saved from the knowledge she gained.

RIP Max

I am sorry for your loss. Without a necropsy there is no way to know for sure what happened to your chinnie :(.

I have no idea what could of happened. But I do know that Max had a wonderful life with you! And there is no doubt in my mind his passing was calming to him with you there. Rescues have such a way with warming the heart. Big hugs sent your way today. :hug:

Latest posts

Back