Red feet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mummypig

I've had Poppy just over a week now and I noticed today that her hind feet are a little red. I've never noticed that before.. I'm worrying about bumblefoot or similar now. She has got a wire bottom cage but there are plenty of wooden shelves, hammocks, hidey houses etc so she can get away from the bottom of the cage. In fact I rarely see her on the bottom - only when she has her bath really or plays in her boredom breaker tube. She also spends a lot of time in the chin-proofed dining room (2 hours plus) a day.

Is there any cream or anything I can put on her feet (that I might be able to get hold of in the UK). I was thinking of getting some more wood and wrapping it in fleece and putting it on the wire bottom so theres even less wire for her - is that a good idea?

I dont want my baby to be sore :cry3:

Just a thought... I was going to buy a granite slab (for the summer) so she can sit on it and cool her bum - would a ceramic tile work too? only I have a pack of large ceramic tiles left over from when we decorated the bathroom and I wonder if it was safe to put that on the wire bottom. Not that we have a heat problem in England at the moment (brrr, its very chilly!) but it might be nice for her feet...? and it would cover about 6 times as much floor space as a chinchiller or whatever they're called.

Ceramic is fine for chins (better than wire in my opinion) but it will not "chill" as well as granite. Ceramic is better for a floor because it will not absorb urine like granite would.

Can you buy Bag Balm in the UK? That is good for moisturizing their feet. Could you post a picture of his feet?

Thanks for the reply Steven, As far as I can see we don't have Bag Balm here (Claire, correct me if I'm wrong!) well, not available in shops anyhow - I MIGHT be able to get some of the net....? I'll put the tile in - its a massive tile so it should cover up quite a bit of the wire and I'll maybe make some fleecey pannels too. I might get a granite slab for the summer but heat control is really not a problem right now(I need to defrost the car in the mornings and some parts of the country are forcasted snow for tomorrow!)

I havent got my camera here at the moment so cant put picture on, its the sides of both of her hind legs which are red - but they may have always been like that and I've just noticed?!

Sometimes the bottom of chinny feet are pink anyway so it's worth getting a photo if you can so we can have a look. Pink whites & beiges for example can have lovely pink tootsies. :)

How old is your furry slave-driver BTW?

As for Bag Balm, no we don't have it here in the UK. You can use a tiny bit of vitamin E oil instead though but, TBH, it is not the norm to have to treat chinny feet.

Give us a look & we'll let you know if you need to buy any slippers for your chin. ;)

:laughitup: slippers! They'd have to be glass slippers because she IS a princess you know :tease: Poppy is 14 weeks old (and apparently is a Wilson white mosaic).... and I worry about her! Actually after her playtime I checked her tootsies again and they werent red at all :eek: so I think I was making a fuss about nothing. Still, I will keep an eye on them and if they go pink again I'll post a picture. I'm glad I put the tile in the base of the cage though, she seems happier that its there and as a bonus, its using up my spare tiles :thumbsup: Thanks

Last edited:
LOL Princess Poppy sounds thoroughly spoiled & rightly so - these small furries have to keep us human slaves in our place doncha know ;)

If Poppy is a white them you will probably notice her delightful pinkies especially if she gets a bit warm - after a run, when their feet are all cozy, they are sometimes a slightly darker shade of pink - nothing to worry about & in a 14 week old girly I would imagine her feet are pretty much perfect. :heart:

LOL Princess Poppy sounds thoroughly spoiled & rightly so - these small furries have to keep us human slaves in our place doncha know ;)

If Poppy is a white them you will probably notice her delightful pinkies especially if she gets a bit warm - after a run, when their feet are all cozy, they are sometimes a slightly darker shade of pink - nothing to worry about & in a 14 week old girly I would imagine her feet are pretty much perfect. :heart:

:hug2: Thank you! I'm going to (try) and stop being a neurotic Chin mummy now! - I'm not this bad with my 2 legged children :hilarious:

Back