re chinchilla and food

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

saszygirl1

Is there any food realy bad for chins. I know about wood and pine needs to be cleaned and cooked if picked up off the ground.With birds they cant have choclate and avocado,its to dangers for them.:hmm::thumbsup:

Kaytee brand is the first name that comes to mind when I think of bad food choices. Any brand that has anything mixed with the pellets, such as treats, or dried fruits and such. All they need is a good brand of pellet, such as Mazuri, Oxbow, Panr...there are others, but a good pellet plus hay. I personally don't use wood off the ground, I use any from clippings and prunings. Chins don't need any treats, but you can offer sparingly plain cheerios, oats, unlimited apple sticks.

Kaytee, L & M and Charlie comes to mind - Only treats (sparringly) are old fashion oats, spoon size shredded wheat (not frosted) and cheerios - They can have all they want of certain woods (like apple sticks)

Anything you'd buy in a pet store that has fruit, seeds, chunks of brightly colored nuggets, or isn't for chinchillas. It should be greenish pellets of compressed alfalfa hay and that's it. PetsMart carries Mazuri chinchilla pellets, but that's probably about the only good on you'd get in a store unless you luck out and have a Mom n' Pop type place that orders Tradition or PANR. You can also try a feed store if there's one near you for the better quality rabbit pellets that are good for chins.

There are also several types of wood that they shouldn't chew. There's a list in the FAQ for those. And obviously, people food is pretty much out with the exception of a few cereals that are okay as treats.

pretty much any pellet food that is colorful = bad. Like 3CsMommy said, Petsmart carries Mazuri, but they sell it for a fortune. If you buy it from someone here, it is alot cheaper.

I believe whole grain pastas are also okay as a treat every once in while? Can someone confirm?

Whole grain pastas are okay, in moderation just like the other treats.

Petsmart carries Mazuri and Oxbow. They cost quite a bit in store, though. It's much much cheaper to purchase feed from someone on here, even with having to pay shipping.

Just for clarity, when someone mentions PANR, it is Purina Advanced Nutrition Rabbit, show formula. Several people on here sell it, and it can usually be ordered through a local feed store, as can Mazuri and Nutrena.

No people food for chins, except those listed as safe treats. No fruits and vegetables, either. Your chin will be healthiest on a good quality pellet, hay, and water.

Chinchillas cannot have any form of people food. Which is what I think you were asking. All they need are lots of Hay, fresh good quality pellets, not the petstore crap and Fresh clean water daily. They need wood to chew on or chew blocks I would not be picking pine up off the ground as it needs to be kiln dried. Apple branches are ok, pear branches among several others but fruits and veggies are bad for chinchillas as well as processed food meant for people

Latest posts

Back