Quilling - What to Expect?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggie

Hello,

I have my first hedgehog. She is about 8 weeks, and has started quilling.

As she is my first, I'm not sure what to expect.

Is it normal for her to eat less than normal?
She is also less active at night, and when I take her out in the evenings, she just wants to sleep. Also, she isn't using the washroom as much as she was before she started quilling.

Is this all normal while they are quilling?

Thanks,
Aggie

How quilling effects a hedgheog will vary greatly from hedgehog to hedgehog.

You may find quills all over the place. Some hedgehogs drop a lot and they are very obvious. Quilling can hurt and it can cause them to be very grouchy.

If your hedgehog is very grumpy, don't let this intimidate you. She still needs to be handled regularly. Sometimes they don't like to be touched, and be considerate of that. Don't rub her back if she acts like it hurts her. Just let her do what she wants.

Keep track of how much she is eating. If you need to, count her kibble. Also keep track of her weight. While she may be more grouchy, she still should be eating.

I never had one that was less active, but to be honest with you, most of my hedgehogs have been adults when they came to me. Perhaps Nancy can comment on eating less/being less active.

Something else to consider, what is the temperature of her enclosure and how much light is she getting daily? Both of these can cause hedgehogs to be less active.

I've not had an activity or food intake decrease that I could put down to quilling. Not to say it doesn't happen but I'd consider temperature or possible illness first.

As Julie has mentioned, I'd up the temperature in her cage a couple of degrees and make certain she is getting adequate light.

She seems to be pretty much back to normal.

I did turn the heat up in the room, and I do leave a light on during the day.

She seems to prefer to wander on her own than be held.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Back