Question of Concern

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MilkMan

My younger chinchilla chewed a pretty thick wire. Not all the way through, and no harm was done to him. buuuutttt I am afraid he may have ingested the harmful rubber coating.What of it?..Now what does a concerned mooommmmmy do?

Just monitor the eating, drinking, and pooping behavior. Make sure you have the number of an available emergency chinchilla vet as well, so that if anything is off (ie: no poops, small poops), you know where you can take your chinchilla immediately to be seen. Keep a good eye on your chin. I think 2-3 days should be long enough of a period to see if it'll pass through if it was ingested, but I'm not quite sure how correct that information is. Hopefully someone with more experience will comment.

In the future, you can just use thick gauge steel wire that has no coating on it for toy hanging or whatnot. Stainless steel pear hooks, keyholes, etc. are appropriate to use for hanging toys, fleece items to the cage as well.

If it was powder-coating, it's supposed to be non-toxic, but I'd check with the cage manufacturer to be sure!
Other than that, there's good advise in the previous post - keep an eye on him!

Yep, I agree. Not much you can do but keep a very close eye on his intake and out take. I would replace your bedding with white paper towels so you notice right away if he is constipated or not urinating. Hope he is ok!

Latest posts

Back