Question About Treats and Pellets

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ristarwen

Hi! I'm new to the forums, even though I've been checking them out for a few weeks now.

I have two chin boys, and I'm wondering about healthy treats to replace the raisins.

I've seen that several of you feed rosehips as treats, and a few offer rosebuds. Also, acidophilus tablets cut into quarters. I know that the rosehips and buds are a once-or-twice-a-week type treat, but what about the acidophilus? Is it okay to offer those daily? I know it's good for their gut fauna, but am not sure if the small amount of sugar (2g/tablet) is okay...

Another question I have is about pellets. Right now they're on some kinda bad food...the sunnaturals. I figure it should be okay for now, as they are both young and growing, and I pick out as much of the extra stuff as I can (I leave pellets, hay, and anything too small for my clumsy fingers to get). In addition, they're getting timothy hay.

So I was wondering...what brand of pellet should I get for them to replace what they're on now? I know that I have an oxbow dealer nearby and could get they're chinchilla pellets, but would probably have to special order. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

I wouldn't offer acidophillus more than a couple times a week. If you want to give treats, provide wood chews, bite sized shredded wheats (nonsugared), the occasional cheerio, oats (old fashioned), or something like that.

As far as the food, now is the exact time that they need the better pellets. Their bodies are growing and changing, and trying to achieve adulthood. They need good quality pellets to reach their full potential and good health. If you have an Oxbow dealer nearby, order some. Oxbow has a good quality pellet, and with only 2 chins it's very affordable. Other than that, you can check for Mazuri at Petco/Petsmart, or through out classifieds for various other good quality pellets for sale.

Welcome to CnH. :)

I agree, the sooner the better on the feed switch. Their young bodies need all of the healthy nutrients they can get! Old fashioned oats, and wood chews are a hit here for treats :)).

Thanks! They definitely have wood chews... I give them plenty of apple twigs. The other morning I made the mistake of only putting one fresh twig in the cage...that caused a bit of a fuss until I realized my mistake a minute later!

Any other suggestions on the rose-derived treats? And I've read of others giving their chins wheat germ...how much, how often, is it a good idea at all? And as for oats, they aren't too "hot" for their bellies? I'm an animal science major and I know you have to be careful about feeds with high starch contents...they can cause tummy upsets.

I give my girl a pinch of old fashion oats in the morning before I leave for work (and by pinch, I mean a really small pinch). I give her munch balls (normally grapevine balls), applewood sticks, and other assorted (safe) woods to chew. She always has hay, food, water, toss-around-toys, and hanging toys. I ran out of cheerios, but I use to give her a cheerio every once in awhile. And I just got in whole, organic rosehips, so she gets those 1-2x a week. :)

Latest posts

Back