quads?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyronymph

I know that it can be a hassle (and possibly detrimental) to try to introduce a third chin to a pair. I was curious though (for future reference), has anyone tried intro-ing 2 pairs? Did that make a difference, drama-wise?

I just bought a FN :dance3: and was hoping, once I have a place to set it up, to use it as a neutral ground. I would like to be able to have as few cages set up as possible, for as long as possible (I know that there is no guarantee here, just wishful thinking ;) ). I would also like to fill the FN, comfortably of course, and not have to divide it off if I don't have to, so there is plenty of jumping space.

I am totally okay with getting 2 new babies as opposed to just one, if that might make an easier intro :neener:

Anytime you are introducing a new chin there is a danger of fighting and injury, even after the introduction, sometimes. The more chinchillas in the mix, the greater the chances of something happening. That being said, I have been able to successfully put together trios and quads, but it does take time and patience, and I would not say it could be done with just any chinchillas. My quads happen to be four pretty laid back animals, non-dominant for the most part, so they were fairly accepting of each other from the get-go. Even at that, it was weeks before I felt comfortable caging them all together unsupervised.

I had a set of 3 (ex: A, B & C) and a set of 2 (D & E) that I wanted to put in a huge cage. 1 (A) from the set of 3 got along with everyone. I put a little bit of Vick's on the other 4 noses and put 2 ea (B & D) & (C & E) in 2 separate show cages. I put the show cages on the floor of the huge cage. The one that got along with everyone had free roam of the cage. After 1 hr I let all 4 out of the show cages and they started to fight. So now I had to put the opposite of the 4 back (B & E) & (C & D) into the cages again. After 1 hr I let them out and they got along fine. I hope this makes sense.

Back