Pushing too hard, possible rectal prolapse...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

EyeSack

I've noticed that when Mika poops she looks like she pushes really hard. Tonight when I was bathing her, she made a few good-sized poops, which I quickly put down the drain, but all of a sudden she looked very uncomfortable, favoring one side of her rear a LOT. Not like limping, but one leg was stretched out as far as she could, looking like she was trying the best she could to not touch her bottom to anything, even stumbling at which point I scooped her up out of the sink and put her on the counter top.

She was literally falling on her side trying to move around, almost like a hedgie with WHS. I thought for sure she was about to let forth a hedgehog-death-scream... Anyway, this seemed to last for hours when in actuality it only lasted a few seconds, until I had her wrapped up in her blanket.

After her bath I set her on the floor to see how she was walking, and she seemed like she was back to her bright-eyed, investigative self.

I saw one time while she was pooping on me what looked to be a small rectal prolapse, but it fixed itself. I'm worried about what happened tonight, and I need your guy's help as to what I should do?

I just read a bit on this link I found...

But that's all about what happens if it is not self-corrected. Her poops look fine, not green, and not black, but I will be emptying the aspen shavings she has for bedding in favor of paper towels tonight to keep an eye on her. Any information/advice/help is greatly appreciated. I never, ever want to see my babygirl scared that much again.

Isaac

I would not use aspen shavings, can you use yesterday's news or paper towels? The wood shavings could irritate her private parts and make it hurt to go to the bathroom. Prolapses are no joke, I would get her to a vet to rule that out and see if there is anything wrong, it is always better safe than sorry, I hope everything is just fine.

I am not a hedgie owner but I wonder if some modification in the hedgie's diet would maybe soften the poops up a little bit. Maybe adding a little fruit or veggies to add fiber?

I am not a hedgie owner but I wonder if some modification in the hedgie's diet would maybe soften the poops up a little bit. Maybe adding a little fruit or veggies to add fiber?

I have read pumpkin can help, and I bet some papaya as well, if that is safe...I believe so but I would double check on the papaya.

Try feeding a little unseasoned canned pumpkin. Pumpkin is a great regulator as it can firm up loose stools and help with constipation. Papaya is listed on the ok lists I've seen for fruits, however, I've never fed it and cannot comment on how well it works. But I do know that the pumpkin works.

I do think I will try to switch her to wet food, if that's ok, and see if that works any better. I appreciate all the input guys, and that's an interesting point you make, Chantel. I switched her to paper towels last night to be safe, and quite frankly, I like them better as they're so much neater and won't get shavings all over the place anymore.

Latest posts

Back