Puberty

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lydz

Okay, so I think Fatso is starting early. He's four months and his behavior is starting to change. A little more aggressive. Started cleaning himself, humping his brother. He used to be the more friendlier of the two, now he stays further away from us, doesn't even want to come out of the cage. He use to jump out before we would open.

What can we do for him? My husband wants to buy him a "chinchilla blow up doll" to hump. Haha. Would there be anything like that and would it do any good?

How long will this period usually last?

BellaBella on here makes some really nice "chin buddies" that your boy can take his sexual frustrations out on if he so chooses :D PM her about it.

Other than that, I'm not sure of what else you can do. Keep an eye on him to be sure he doesn't start acting excessively aggressive toward his brother. Sometimes when chins hit puberty they start chasing their cage mate and beating them up. I had this happen between one of my pairs and had to separate for awhile until he settled down.

Thanks. I really hope it is puberty and not anything else.

Hi behavior has really changed from a week ago. He is eating just fine. He never had any problem eating and when we do get him out he plays normal also. Usually though he would be the one that would run out and be at the door ready to jump out. Now we can't even coax him out to play. What chin doesn't want playtime? Also, he's started trying to bite us which he never did.

Its almost as if they switched personalities. It kind of makes me nervous.

Oh and I noticed two days a off red mark on his ear. I know that beige chins get those spots on their ears and of the two he is the one that has started getting the spots. You can also sort of see their veins. Well those red spots looks like a vein popped or something.

Back