Pregnant chin with a cold

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orlandochins

Not sure if this is the right thread to start this in, but here goes

I have a chin that I believe is pregnant....I don't palpate but when I hold her her belly is firm and she has been with a male so chances are she is pregnant....I think I may have felt a small kick tonight but not sure if I did or if my mind is playing tricks

Anyways, noticed this evening that mom's eye is a little runny and when I hold her and listen closely it sounds like a tiny whistle when she breathes.....so I believe she has a cold.
She has an appointment in the morning at the vets (they were closing when I realized she was showing signs of being sick). She is eating and drinking and pooping...she is still pretty active.
I was wondering what meds are safe for her to be on if she is pregnant...

Sulfa drugs are safe..but in the end sometimes you have to risk the kits to save mom...if mom dies you lose the kits any way.

TMS which is a sulfa drug would be fairly safe. The clicking in the lungs is not good, it could be an early onset of pneumonia which means the faster she can get treated, the better. I lost a chin 12hrs after he showed symptoms like you mentioned. He was so far gone after only 7 hours that there was nothing the vet could do for him.

Get her to the vet ASAP, especially if she shows any further signs. I'm not sure that I would wait for a morning appointment as respiratory problems in chinchillas are often times fatal and set in VERY quickly. It's not something that should be played around with.

Thanks!!!! I know there is a risk and I have mom's health as first priority...I just want to try to prevent anything happening to the kits because that may mean a c-section down the road....I think she is too far along in her pregnancy that it would be a reabsorption....I just want this little girl to get better!!!

Tabitha- the emergency vet won't see chins here...I just called my vet and I am waiting for him to call back....I have TMS on hand should I give a dose now or wait for the vet to call?

My vet called me back...since I have the meds on hand he told me to go ahead and give a dose of the TMS and also use the eye drops on her eye. He said to keep an eye on her and any signs of her declining to call him ASAP and he will meet me at the office but for now to get meds started and as long as she is stable he will see me in the morning
Thanks for the advice!!!!

I gave her meds last night and this morning she sounded better and her eye was not runny. Took her to the vet this morning and had xrays done...her lungs look clear and the vet said that you could barely hear that she was congested...we are going to keep her on the TMS and the eye drops for 7-10 days and then go back for a recheck

Latest posts

Back