Pregnancy Chewing?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sheri

Hi all. I hope this is where this goes. If not please move it.
I have a male and female that are paired and have gotten along fine now for months. She is due in about 3 weeks if calculations are right. Today when cleaning their cage (now her's alone) I noticed the male looked a little funny. I finished cleaning and put her back. I took him to the play room and checked him out. It looks like he is being chewed a little. Now they are seperate so I can see if it is him or her chewing. I also noticed that he seems nervous around her all of a sudden.

My question is this, can fur chewing be genetic? If I find it's her chewing him is it because she's pregnate and it's his fault. (That's how I felt that last month) I don't know what to think. I looked her over and she is fine.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Yes, it is genetic and also stress related. I think both. She most likely did not get pregnant on day one, so you just have to be ready all the time for babies. Do you have a safe cage? What food do you feed? I would let the breeder know that he or she is chewing also- it is something breeders like to know since we don't breed fur chewers since it is thought to be genetic.

Are you sure it is not fungus? That also causes hair loss- but they are quite easy to distinguish. Pictures would help!

LOL OK WHat order to go in. I KNOW it's not fungus as I have already had that. I have already had babies (several litters) over the time I have been here. All my cages are baby proof. I am not going by the date I put them together for a due date. Going by the date I saw breeding take place and date of her last heat cycle. Yes they are seperated now. The missing patch is the size of a dime and not sure who did it so he will stay by himself until I know who it was.hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what else?

Oh yeah...I feed PANR, Ryerson supplement and Hay with rose hips and plain shreddies or a cherrio as a treat.

I had a brown velvet female that would fight with the male about half-way through the pregnancy, so I'd pull him out. She wouldn't accept him back until the kit were about 3 weeks old, but then everything was fine. Happened 3 times!
I know most breeders with runs will block-off the male for the last few weeks, probably more so the kits won't get out.
I felt she maybe didn't trust the male when the kits were so small???

Last edited:
Hmm....I have not seen fur chewing in only a dime sized area, but it very well could just be the start. They seem to have the right food cages, etc. so that is good. I would try to reduce stress, I think having a cranky pregnant girl in your cage could cause some stress! Lol. Being alone will hopefully help, or at the least you will find out who is doing the chewing.

He might be nervous around her if she is close to delivering because she might start acting different and maybe going after him or something.

Jean

Back