Potential Issue

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annieo

Loving Pet Owner
While changing the fleece in Handbag's cage tonight I noticed he was nibbling on a small strip of faux fur I had been sewing a project with. I pretty sure it came from the dryer as I had just washed the faux fur prior to doing a load of fleece.

I have attached a photo of a larger sample of what the material is. HB definitely got a few pulls in, although I'm not sure if he ingested any. He only had it for a few seconds and I pulled it out of his paws and wiped his mouth. I also took all the fleece out and replaced it with another set.

The faux fur is polyester-based with lots of small hairs. I tried to enlarge it so you can see what it looks like.

What should I be watching for in terms of any impaction, etc.

fabric.jpg

Last edited:
The picture isn't showing up, but honestly I wouldn't panic. Watch him, make sure everything is as normal, and he should be fine.

ETA: Now it shows up! I still wouldn't panic though. Chins chew on stuff all the time and they are fine.

Annie keep an eye on his pooing, if all stays the same I would not worry. If you notice him eating less and his poos getting smaller and less frequent that could be an impaction which would require a vet visit.

From time to time Abigail has eaten small bits of fleece tubes to get to the cardboard underneath, I've never had any issues with her.

Just monitor the eating, pooing drinking and if it stays the same I'm sure everything is ok

I agree with what's been said and try not to worry. If his poops and appetite are normal than all is ok :)).

Ditto to what everyone has said. Someone once mentioned to me that Alfalfa Hay can act as a mild laxative. If Annie's really concerned can she give him a pinch or two for a few days just to help keep things moving?

Back