Possible future owner with questions!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sugar_melodie

Hello!

I was researching chinchillas online and came across this gem of a website. I've spent the past few days perusing the topics on this forum and they're all really helpful. I do have a few questions though.

Allow me to explain my situation. I'm currently a senior in college, finishing up my bachelors degree and graduating this May. Upon graduation, I'll be moving back home in NJ and hopefully will have a job/internship to look forward to.

Back when I was younger, I had briefly taken care of a friend's chinchilla over summer break. Granted most of the real responsibility was my parents', I still remember the experience very fondly and am looking to get a chinchilla of my own (edit: after graduation - not at the moment). However, I do understand that chinchillas require a lot of responsibility.

I'm not looking to purchase a show-quality or a particular color. I'm just looking for a pet. I've been looking through my local animal shelter listings without much luck. I know that there are animal shelters in upstate NY and breeders that are a few hours away by car but I don't want to subject a chinchilla to a stressful and long car ride. How long of a car drive is too much for a chinchilla?

Secondly, I'm hoping to get a full-time job when I graduate. Since both of my parents work full-time jobs and there will be no one in the house during the daytime, we decided against getting a dog. If no one is in the house until roughly five-six PM, would this be a problem for taking care of the chinchilla?

Thanks so much for your time. I'm sorry if my post was too wordy! XD

Last edited:
I know that there are animal shelters in upstate NY and breeders that are a few hours away by car but I don't want to subject a chinchilla to a stressful and long car ride. How long of a car drive is too much for a chinchilla?

I'm about to drive 16 hours to deliver some chins, and from there they will go another anywhere from 9 to 16+ hours, after sitting in carriers all weekend. If you take care to have along food, water, hay, and maybe some wood chews for the boredom factor, they will be fine. Keep them out of the direct sunlight and make sure the car is nice and cool. Run the a/c if you need to.

If no one is in the house until roughly five-six PM, would this be a problem for taking care of the chinchilla?

That would be fine, as most times chinchillas are nocturnal anyway. About the time you get home, they will start waking up for the evening. :)

Just make sure your cars a/c works well, keep them on the seat rather than the floor of the car (stays cooler)

and like Tunes said, your new friend will be waiting for you to get home after snoozing the day away.

Hey there! Welcome to the forum! I'm glad it's been helpful--it has helped me a great deal also.

If you go down to the Classifieds section of the forum, you will find many breeders offering chins for sale, or you can post in the "chins wanted" or rescues area; if you give a general area of where you are located, I'm sure a breeder or rescue nearby will help you find a pet. Adopting a rescue is a wonderful way to give these little critters a fur-ever home. :)

Since you are moving to NJ. you could rescue a chin or 2 in NJ when you get there and that why there is no drive for the chin(s) - There are plenty of rescue people in NJ - I am one of many

Everyone's covered everything pretty well so I just wanted to add, Welcome to the Forum! And good luck on your chinnie search. :) You're definitely headed in the right direction.

Have you checked petfinder.com for the area you are going back to? You can punch in your zip code and it will bring up a list of available chinchillas in your area.

If you go down to the Classifieds section of the forum, you will find many breeders offering chins for sale, or you can post in the "chins wanted" or rescues area; if you give a general area of where you are located, I'm sure a breeder or rescue nearby will help you find a pet. Adopting a rescue is a wonderful way to give these little critters a fur-ever home. :)

Thanks so much for the idea. I'm pretty sure I'll be looking to adopt a rescue. :D

Since you are moving to NJ. you could rescue a chin or 2 in NJ when you get there and that why there is no drive for the chin(s) - There are plenty of rescue people in NJ - I am one of many

Are there? I've called up a few local shelters in my county (I would be in Bergen County) and searched online. I haven't had much luck in finding anything in my immediate area. Would you mind if I emailed you later when I'm back in NJ and able to adopt?

Have you checked petfinder.com for the area you are going back to? You can punch in your zip code and it will bring up a list of available chinchillas in your area.

I did search but the closest location is in Oceanside, NY - which is an area I'm not too familiar with. Thank you so much for your info in your earlier post as well. It was very helpful!

Thank you all for your input. It means a lot!

Back