Please help me: Chinchilla trouble breathing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiggereh

My 7 year old gray chinchilla was losing a bit of weight and having some issues breathing. We took him to our vet who did Xrays and thought it might be congestive heart failure. We sent the xrays to an exotics radiologist. She thought it was more likely a URI, with fluid in the lungs. So basically it's one or the other, but inconclusive.

Duncan is on Lasix, Metacam, and an antibiotic. He's been on these less than 48 hours. He's been continuing to eat a bit, but today he hasn't been. I've been supplementing with critical care, water, etc.

His breathing is terrible and he's lethargic. Is there anything else that we can do? Our vet is gone until next Wednesday. I can bring him in to see her colleague again, but I'm very afraid that the trip will stress him further and her only recommendation will be to put him to sleep. If that's the right then, then I don't want him to suffer but I want to make sure that we're giving him absolutely every opportunity possible to get better.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Elizabeth

If it is conjestive heart failure he should also have lisinopril, it is used on chinchillas with heart failure in conjuction with the lasix and works by blocking an enzyme in the body that is necessary to produce a substance that causes blood vessels to tighten. As a result, the blood vessels relax. This lowers blood pressure and increases the supply of blood and oxygen to the heart and will help with breathing and the lethargy. Did the vet detect a heart murmur? Does he have a runny nose or is he sneezing?

What color is he? Do his lips look dusty blue if he is grey?

Last edited:
Where are you located? You need to get to an E-Vet.
If it is a URI, they can cause chins to go downhill so fast. Did they give sub-q fluids?

You say you are supplementing with CC, Water, Etc. What do you mean by etc.?

What antibiotic is he on? Baytril? Do you have probiotics to give 4 hours after the Baytril? The Baytril kills all bacteria, whether it be good or bad, so it is a good idea to replish the good bacteria w/ a good probiotic. You cannot do them at the same time or there will be no benefit.

Again, please tell us where you're located so we can try to help find a good vet in your vacinity.

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback. The antiobiotic is Baytril, and we're giving his probiotics four hours later. I'm supplementing with CC, lifeline, and a bit of dyne, as well as fluids.

The vet could not detect a heart murmur this time, apparently his heart is beating too hard. But previously he's diagnosed as a 3/6.

He doesn't have any overt sneezing or runny nose, but has had a little discharge around his eyes. His lips do not appear to be blue.

The vet has agreed to call in a prescription for lisinopril.

We're in Boston, and I'm just back from the E-vet who is recommending he be put to sleep. She doesn't feel that there's anything else we can do. His regualr vet is on a trip until early next week, so I've called three other places to see if they feel that they can offer something different.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I would IMO based on his murmur and no discharge and sneezing say he is in congestive heart failure, it can be managed with the medications and is not a death sentance if the chin does not have any other medical conditions. The lasix will get rid of the fluid in the lungs and the lisinopril is used as the drug that will be used daily for the rest of his life. He will need to be on a low protein and fat diet, no treats and his play time should be limited to no more than a 1/2 hour at a time. I would use the lisinopril and lasix for a few days and see how he responds as far as the breathing and lethargy goes, if he improves then he can be maintained-it really does depend on the murmur type he has-mitral valve murmurs respond the best to treatment, aortic valve murmurs can be dicey.

Last edited:
Thank you. That's incredibly helpful. I've got a vet in the area that was just recommended to me and is willing to see him for a consult today. I"m hoping if nothing else we can get him hydrated and I can pick up the lisinopril. Thanks again for your opinions - the insight of deeply experienced caretakers of chinchillas is invaluable, and I'm deeply grateful.

If he's in congestive heart failure, you'll want to be careful on fluids. I have not dealt with this in a chin (thankfully), but in a human or other animals, fluids need to be limited to keep the fluid around the heart down to a manageable amount.

Tunes is correct, fluid intake is limited and subQ should not be used if this is CHF. In the future if he does get long term treatment he will also need to be weighed every day, its a important tool for monitoring an appropriate fluid balance, a early sign of fluid accumulation is an increase in body weight. This may occur even before shortness of breath or other symptoms occur.

Did the vet give the Lasix by mouth or by injection & was it once or twice a day?

Some chins will need slightly higher doses of Lasix twice a day in the first few days of treating heart failure & congestion of the lungs. Once the overloaded fluid has been removed by the Lasix then the dose can be reduced & given by mouth.

Latest posts

Back