Playing or Fighting?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lydz

When we let our boys out for play time they sometimes start to semi attack each other. Usually one initiates by trying to hump the other (I don't think he is actually humping though). The other will turn and bite at it and then they run around in circles chasing each other and stop after a bit. It seems like they are playing because after a minute they are fine. And I do not think they are going through puberty since they have not humped us or anything else. So are they really just playing???

They sleep curled up with one another (until one cacks because the other is annoy him) but I've had to actual fights or mauling of one another. They are brothers and have been together since they were born.

yes, keep an eye out for flying fur and biting. If you see these happen you will need to separate. Just because they are brothers, doesn't mean that they will like each other for ever.

Don't tell me that. :-( I want happy, loving brothers. :)

Thankfully the cage my husband built is big enough to split if it comes to that. They are so cute though when they sleep on top of each other that I can't imagine them sleeping alone.

Just because they are brothers, doesn't mean that they will like each other for ever.
How old are they? I've heard of brothers having dominance issues after they hit 6 months to a year. Hopefully they will be fine though. I would certainly just keep an eye on them for now. Good luck!

They are three months. The breeder did say that one did seem to be dominating but they see are fine when they are in their cage. The only do it when we let them out for play time. They get so excited they are literally bouncing off the walls. And they start chasing each other.

They start by kissing and smelling each other and then start running after each other, riding each other. They stop and then go back to being normal.

We shall see.

By your last description, I would say that they are just chasing and possibly asserting dominance. Just keep an eye on things. They should be fine together as long as things don't get worse.

They are three months. The breeder did say that one did seem to be dominating but they see are fine when they are in their cage. The only do it when we let them out for play time. They get so excited they are literally bouncing off the walls. And they start chasing each other.

They start by kissing and smelling each other and then start running after each other, riding each other. They stop and then go back to being normal.

We shall see.

I think you're fine. They are a bit young still and may just be claiming dominance. This will happen...no fur...no blood...no foul:thumbsup:

How long have you had them??? The new cage may be causing the dominance

We've had them three weeks but they took to their new cage right away. They've memorized every cranny and jump from one level to the next and in their house in one movement.

My husband built a good size sleep house for them since we noticed after the first day that one was hiding under then wheel and the other in a tube. It use to be separated so they would have their own space but after one time alone they started bunking so we just took out the partition. They get annoy sometimes in there but they have never fought in close quarters yet.

If human siblings play fight, why shouldn't chins?

Like was mentioned earlier, as long as things don't get worse, they should be fine. I have two brothers that recently turned 8 weeks old. they were already humping each other and doing a little squabbling by the time they were 7 weeks.

Back