Pellets - Hay - sheesh!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nibblesmama

So I "upgraded" to Oxbow and those silly chin's have ALL turned those noses up to it. Dale the Male will throw the pellets out of the cage. Nice. Kimaya the Evil has started peeing in her bowl over them. Nibbles will eat them but glares at me while she chews. Attitude! There's a rebellion I tell you! :impatient:
I changed hay a couple months ago, which they LOVE. My friend has house rabbits and horses and gave me two giant bags of FRESH orchard/timothy hay (not alfalfa) that her bunnies love and these guys just love it. Kimaya chomps constantly on it. My friend showed me how to store it so that it doesn't get moisture or anything. The way these guys are going through it it's not goign to have time to go stale. It's just proof that we just don't know how long that stuff in the stores has been there. They totally won't even look at that stuff now. Spoiled chins.
I figure they are going to eat the pellets eventually, right?!
Anyone else had a rebellion of all the chins in their home?! They aren't in the same cages but i'm sure they are plotting my death now for changing pellets. I'll sleep with one eye open for a while. :hilarious:

Chins can be so stubborn sometimes!!!:laughitup: When we switched everyone over to Oxbow- we ran into a similar problem. Pellets everywhere & dirty looks!! I think after a few days they realized that they were not going to win the battle and they gave in! They all love their Oxbow now. Hang in there!! They will get over it.

As long as you are giving them unlimited hay I wouldn't worry about them not eating the pellets right away. Give them a few days to get used to the new smell and taste.

I'm sure they are totally mad because I took away their junk-food.
They were out last night and all went for the cat-grass (wheatgrass) and were just going to town while the cat sat there like "MOoooommmmmm!!!! They are eating my grass!!!!" ohhhhh she was mad and was just growling at them. :neener: I put her in the bedroom with her grass and then Kimaya the Evil went over and hijacked the fleece cat bed. It was so funny, I know these goofy chins are doing this just to annoy the cat!

Be very careful of ANY contact between chins and cats. Cats carry nasty bacteria under their nails and chins have VERY thin skin with poor circulation. Your chins could get a bad infection if even slightly scratched by your cat and because of the poor circulation it could take a long time to heal...even with strong antibiotics. Worse some cats puncture when they claw so your chin could end up with a deep infection that you wouldn't even notice until it became a large abscess. Too much risk for me IMO.

Also I would not recommend letting the chins eat the cat grass. It contains too much water and could cause them to get loose stool and could lead to other GI issues.

Remember LOTS of hay. As much as they can eat.

I'm aware of that. The cats are usually locked up when it's chinnie time. My one cat is just a total stinker. No claws.
I just thought I'd share a funny story, didn't think I would get fussed at over the antics. :impatient:

I guess you'd get really upset if I told you about my 5 hounds. :neener:

Seriously though, I have a successful non-profit animal rescue, so I'm very in tune with my animals and would never put anyone in any danger. I just thought you all could laugh along with me.

I have 1 chin that absolutely loved to chase our dog!! He would chase her then she would turn around and chase him it was soooo funny to watch them. She was pretty old and sometimes wouldn't feel like playing he would jump on her back until she'd finally get up. She recently passed away and for several days he would search all over looking for her it's so sad to watch him now because he still runs all over where she used to lay looking for her but they had a ball when she was alive, I've never seen anything like them!!
Julie

Back