Paper shredding for bedding?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im going to say if its a recycled paper or organic or something along those lines it should be fine. However, i would be a little worried about paper with ink & or junk mail, etc. I know some people offer pop boxes & other cardboard with ink, but i personally do not due to the ink & not knowing what it went through before getting to me. Ink being non toxic or not, you never know what else was absorbed into the cardboard during its transit..

I would also think that paper would be pretty bad as far as absorbing & keeping the smell to a minimum.

Most ink is toxic so unless you want your chin to have a permanent tummy ache WHEN (not if) he/she eats some of it I really wouldn't

I got 2 huge things of aspen bedding at PETCO for about $14 and this stuff will last no joke at least a year.

I just don't think risking your chin's health is worth saving a few $$$.

That's what I was wondering about, but wasn't too sure. Thank you for your advice.

I have bedding to last for now, I was just going to use the paper bedding until I got a new job or my old job back since I lost my job two months ago. I'll make sure to buy new bedding when it comes to it.

If you have a feed store near where you live you can purchase a huge bag of pine bedding for under $6.00 usually. One bag lasts me at least 2 months and I have quite a few chins.

Yeah, I agree with the above posters-not to mention if it has ink on it, it may rub off on the chins' fur and make them dirty looking on the bellies.

Yeah we buy a HUGE bag of kiln dried pine and it's a little under $8 and we are cleaning 8 cages and it'll last us a month. That's with weekly cleaning too. I would just go with the pine or aspen it helps so much with the smell. We get aspen for a little more expensive but for some reason we prefer the pine we get not because of the price we just think that it helps cut down on smell a whole lot better.

I did get a sample bag of a shredded paper product last summer that has been popular at the horse barns, but I can't recall the name of it. I have the brochure at home...Anyway, I used it with the ebs, not standards, because I wasn't sure if it would stain the bellies. I have to say it was AWESOME at odor control and managing wetness, and it really fluffed up a BUNCH so lasted a long time. Trouble is, they shipped me the sample from MN, and the product is not available in WI unless I order a semi-truck load (hummmm, not practical??). So I have to stick with aspen for now and hope every fall/winter I can get my hands on enough to last a few months in case the shavings company nearby can't get aspen mid-winter. I have been pleased with aspen, but there were advantages to the paper.

Have you tried yesterday's news? If you have a pull out tray and not a solid bottom you can use that, I use it with the hedgehogs and it works great. You would not think newspaper pellets would absorb the smell very well, but they really do!

I wouldn't recommend using the newspaper or junk mail either. Like Wendy said, there is a paper bedding out there. I remember the post about it on CnQ, but can't recall the name either.

I've always used KD Pine shavings. I can get a 50 lb bag for around $6.00.

Back