Pacing Back & Forth...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MyFuzzies

Every evening I let the boys out around 7:00 for a few hours of playtime. Usually I'll let Cheeko & Gideon out together, then Frick, Frack & Remi together. The entire time Cheeko & Gideon are out for playtime Remi paces back & forth & back & forth in his cage (right by the door) and does it frantically...like he's thinking "gotta get out...gotta get out...gotta get out". Then I'll put Cheeko & Gideon back in their cage and let out Frick, Frack & Remi.

Remi is a VERY energetic chin...I have a hell of a time trying to catch him, but I'm getting better LOL. So after he has his hour or 2 of playtime and goes back into his cage he starts pacing again...and he'll do it for hours on end!! He has plenty of chew toys, apple sticks, fresh food, water & hay and even a cuddle buddy.

I'm just trying to figure out if he's "ok"?? Does anyone else have this issue?? BTW for anyone who doesn't know, Remi is an 8 month old Black Velvet male...which makes me wonder if it's just a "black" mutation thing. Lord knows Gideon definitely has the "white crazies" going on LOL. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Sounds like he just loves to come out and play. Have you tried throwing a towel over him to catch him? It usually makes them stop in their tracks and then you can just pick them up.

It's gotta be a black thing, Koda races round his cage frantically while anyone else is out until it's his turn, and he's the most high strung of my chins.

Sounds like he just loves to come out and play. Have you tried throwing a towel over him to catch him? It usually makes them stop in their tracks and then you can just pick them up.

Actually I use a towel to catch him and Gideon both...the others I can catch pretty easily. The think is, he's even too quick for the towel...by the time it lands he's already GONE!! LOL

Stacie, Remi sounds JUST LIKE Koda! It's nice to know he's being a normal "black" chin, which IMO, isn't really that normal ROTFLOL

Last edited:
I know Tilly does that too and she is a standard grey. It is also right before playtime. I think him seeing the other chins out makes him anxious to play and then maybe he still has extra energy after playtime is over. Try leaving him out a little longer and see if it is still as bad. Tilly was the same way and fortunately I have enough time to just let her play until she tires and goes back in her hidey house. Some chins seem to be WAY more energetic than others and maybe he just needs a little more free time.. who knows

Back