Outside/Grazing Time?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ristarwen

Hey, I'm just wondering if it's okay to give my chinnie boys some outside time. I have a SuperPet cage (I know, I know, I'm getting a new one this summer...probably a Ferret Nation...) and the wire top can come off. Would it be okay to put this out on the grass and let them have a little outside time in it? The lawn is not too lush and is not ever fertilized or sprayed with pesticides. Also, they are on acidophilus, if that helps.

I personally do not take my chins outside. There are just too many things that can happen. A cat getting into the yard, bug bites, overheating, escaping. So many things can happen if you even turn your back for a minute.

If they have hay, they don't really need grass anyway. :)

Not worth it...aside from everything mentioned, wild and domestic animals come and go in your yard without you knowing unless you have it entirely fenced in and even then rodents do. If it's a cool dry day and you want to take your chinny out in his cage to get some fresh air while entirely supervised...I don't see a problem in that.

I am sometimes irrational...;)I would worry a bald eagle would swoop down and snatch it (yes, we do have bald eagles here). oh yeah that and unknown poisonous plant species, insects they shouldn't be eating, persistent chemicals in the lawn and I would be afraid the chin would be able to wedge its way out under the cage. At least inside there is still another barrier to the outside if one of them gets out.

I would be afraid that my chin might nibble on something not intended for her - and you know they are constantly nibbling on everything in sight. I would also worry about diseases, parasites, in the yard that she would be exposed to. A whole new environment, even temporarily, could be harmful. They seem to thrive indoors and don't seem to need to go out for any reason. Like the others have said, I would rather be safe than sorry.

I had thought that it would be neat to make a nice enclosed 'outside' area for my chins, but then I started thinking about the 'what if's'.... what if they chewed a hole in the wood when i wasn't looking, what if they found a weak spot and could squeeze their way thru like they have with the cage doors at times. If they get out of their cage, its not that big a deal, they are still in the chin room, but if they get loose outside....... it isn't worth it.

It is my worst nightmare that a chin gets lose outside, so I could never ever do that! I literally have dreams where I spend the whole night running around frantically trying to catch a chin. They are horrible. And I have heard of too many chins getting lose lately and not too many happy endings.

It is my worst nightmare that a chin gets lose outside, so I could never ever do that! I literally have dreams where I spend the whole night running around frantically trying to catch a chin. They are horrible. And I have heard of too many chins getting lose lately and not too many happy endings.

I agree!!! After I had posted a response I got to thinking that the possibility of my chin escaping from her enclosure somehow would be so tragic! They are such good escape artists, and if one got loose outside you probably would never be able to get it back. Lost indoors is one thing, but can you imagine losing your chin outside? Another good reason to leave them indoors.

We would take the guinea pigs out to munch on some grass and get fresh air. One day one of them got loose and when we found her she was in a neighbor dogs mouth. :( That was heart breaking.

It's hard to tell what'll happen, keep them inside.

Not to mention red-tailed hawks - they circle our house for the squirrels and chipmunks! I believe they're everywhere, now!

As for hawks and other flying predators, they would be in the top part of their cage...which has a "lid". So unless the predator was able to pick up the cage and then go after a chinchilla...they wouldn't have much luck. Also, I would be out there right next to the cage...predators tend to stay away from humans. So predation, not really an issue unless it's a very motivated domestic cat or dog.

Yah I wouldnt risk it. I used to do that when I had a rabbit and I left her outside unattended for a little bit in her pen outside and she was picked up by a hawk.... it was terrible. Now I'm even weird about my chihuahuas being outside for too long.

I had never thought of having to chase any of my chins outside. what a nightmare for sure! My escape artist, Bella, got out of her cage Monday night during a Cub Scout den meeting at my house. I had 6 8-year-old boys all in a tizzy over wanting to chase the chinchilla. Of course I didn't let them, but they all sure wanted to. My husband tried to explain to all of them that they would never catch her anyway :neener: So, on that note, I would not take the risk of taking my chins outside.

I agree. They are way to fast and so many things can happen. I definately would not take mine out.

Latest posts

Back