ok so really, hair rings?

• Thread starter lynnengreatdanes
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lynnengreatdanes

Looking this up online I was wondeirng how to go about checking for hair rings on a new chin if I should choose a male? I kind of doubt my brand new baby would like me doing that to him right away and it seems to be a pressing concern that needs checked often.. Or maybe I could just take him to the vet once a month to have him checked? *ponders*

Thanks! I was looking all over for a thread and couldnt find one , I appreciate the help!

*headdesk* note to self, learn how to do a board search lol. I apologize!

Yes I was wondering the same thing...thanks for the link!! I also think I am going to take him to the vet to see how do properly check....that would be very traumatizing to a new chin!

Everything I've read about doing them suggests that you really only have to do a check often if your chin is mating. Other than that, it's recommended to do it once every six months as a precaution unless you see something abnormal. I did one on my little guy and he didn't seem to mind. I was actually surprised that he was hardly struggling at all! Maybe he knew I was trying to help :)

Just my personal opinion, but I would think taking the Chin'kid to the Vet every time he needs a hair ring check ..would be MUCH more stressful than just learning how to check for yourself. ;)

I have a male ..and I take que from him when I need to check more often ..usually when he's paying exceptional attention to his "nether region", himself. Otherwise, I check at random times ..and he's never really traumatized by it. He gets a special "cookie" after the ordeal ..and all is well.

Disclaimer: Phoenix and the girls ..all think Calf Manna pieces are "cookies", so no worries that they are getting unhealthy, sugary treats.

It's really not that bad... we do it once a month or so with our two boys, and although neither enjoy it, I wouldn't consider it traumatizing. It's usually easier with one person holding the chin and the other doing the check. We usually save hair ring checks for treat/dust days, so they get compensated for it :))

that probably is true, I know my dogs are NOT fond of the vet either, although he is a very nice man lol. I am just sooo worried that I might do something wrong and inadvertantly hurt the chin because I just dont know what I am doing. I know everyone has to start somewhere, its just EE lol. Maybe its my OCD talking because I just am soo afraid of not doing things right

You could also ask a local breeder or rescuer to show you. I always offer to show anyone who gets a male chin - even tho its a bit embarrassing to the new parents, they usually appreciate that I took the time to demonstrate it. Makes it less scary for them when they first try it at home.

As for how often - I cant say I agree with every 6 months being ok. I have one male that needs checked every couple weeks, even when he's been housed alone. Then another who hardly ever gets them at all, even when he was in breeding.
~Barb~

Latest posts

Back