Nibbling

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euphoric

So me and valentine have made great bonding process, he now isn't as scared of me and movements.
He usually still runs away but now if i sit next to his cage he will come to the edge and "eskimo kiss"
But now he nibbles on my hands.
It doesn't hurt aned I read that means they like you?

I am confused because he still don't like to be picked up or anything and when he has outside time will run away from me

(however despite my best chin proofing he keeps finding a way under my bed...but he now comes out and usually with slight coyness on my side I can get him and put him back in his cage)

So does he trust me or not? lol its a bit confusing

Nibbling is good! It just means he's tasting you, sometimes it means he's trying to groom you a little. I've never heard of it being a bad thing. I'd say he's starting to trust you, but it does take time. It took our BV Hero a few months to trust us, and that took a lot of time sitting with him while he played and scratching under his chin (so he could learn that our hands= good things!)

From everything I've read and seen some chins take longer than others to adjust to their people, while some just cuddle up to anybody right away.

I'd just suggest to keep him on a routine (same playtime each day, same feeding times, bedtimes etc.) and when he gets used to that, he might have an easier time getting used to you. Be patient! =)

HAHA i wish somone told me to scratch his chin ealier
he made the CUTEST face ever and loved it.

But I know it was going to take time but i guess i am impatient lol :)

hehehe...yeah, mine LOVES being scratched, all over the place...it's gotten to the point that if I put my hand anywhere near him he leans over and sticks his paw up like "well? scratch me!"

And of course, I oblige. I'm a whipped chinmom :p
Picture012.jpg

HAHA i wish somone told me to scratch his chin ealier
he made the CUTEST face ever and loved it.

But I know it was going to take time but i guess i am impatient lol :)
If you get them in the right spot their little paws go up and they tilt right over - a couple of mine will tip right over if I scritch them long enough in the right spot. :)

Nibbling is a great sign - reciprocal grooming is a bonding process between chins - he is expecting you to groom him back. :winkers:

Back