New rescues, are they going to be ok?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Narcissus

About three weeks ago I rescued two female chins from a lady. They are both somewhat friendly, and I would like to eventually rehome them. But, they were being fed a rabbit food that consisted of sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds and lots if other treats. Needless to say, they are both over weight and not in the best condition. They have lost some weight now that they are on a better diet and are looking much better. My question is this, because if their past unhealthy diet, will they have any lasting health issues? (liver or kidney problems) I am more than willing to keep them and let them live their lives out here with me if they will have issues and will need many vet trips. But, if they erl recover and not have lasting issues I would like to rehome them. Does anybody have any insight to what would be the best thing to do for these sweet girls?

There is no way to know whether the girls will have ill effects from their previous feed. I believe most animals will be fine as long as the unhealthy feed is replaced with fresh healthy food and water. I would keep the girls for +/- 6 months to rehab them. If healthy, rehome them. Tell the new owners their history. My thoughts.

I always keep the female rescues for at least four months, to make sure they are not pregnant, regardless of weather they say they haven't been around a male. I just want to be certain. thank you for your advice. Ill hang on to them for at least six months, and we will go from there. They have been named Miss Piggy, and Rosadella(Rosy).

Good call, it's best to be as careful as possible when you are planning to rehome out rescues, I just never want to be responsible for a families heartbreak with a dead chin cause I was impatient :)

Latest posts

Back