Nasty scare

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkc1038

Just a small intro:
Was very sick last night with a nasty stomache virus, so I didnt do the Normal is everyone okay is the cage closed up nice, food, water(always done in morning, but I like to ck at night). Come to find out the %$^^&&^**cat somehow got Jose's cage open and Jose got out and was bit by the cat. Superficial as per the Vet and now I am in search of a much better cage, even though I have several really nice ferret cages here I now dont trust them. He went to the Vet at 8:30 this morning and she cleaned him up and gave me Baytril for the bite and Benebac.

I feel so bad he is so tiny and the Cat is HUGE, he is my smart guy though he was calling me and was hiding in a box of X-mas stuff, mostly nice soft stockings and nice stuff, I found him this morning at 2 am. I have a first aid kit and cleaned him up as best as I could and watched him, by this time bleeding had stopped he eating, pooping, and drinking, I gave him a cherrio cause I felt so bad. He is resting in my Hospital cage in my room that is quiet and safe.
I just had to get this off my chest, I feel like the worst right now. But cage will be super and unaccesable to said Cat!!!

OMG!! That could have turned out so much worse. :( Poor little chinnie, must have been so scared. I can't believe the cat can open the cage though. What kind of lock does the cage have?

You are so lucky you were prepared!! I'm glad your chin is safe and comfortable now, and this has made me realize how important it is to double and triple check cages!!

Keep us updated on Jose!!

Wow, that is scary! Poor Jose, how scary that must of been. Can you keep the chins in a room that locks so you can be sure to keep the cat out?

It is a YICK superpet cage that has been refabed for Jose. No plastic shelves only wood and he doesnt chew the plastic bottom. So the "locks" are only as good as the last person closing them are, my daughter LOVES her chinny and he LOVES her so he is out every night I usually make sure that the door is secure before I go to bed or my OCD takes over and I will check them repeatedly through the night,LOL.. Laast night I was sick and didnt even think to check, I feel horrible, I think it probable just poped open when Jose was either doing his wheel arobics or his cage surfing. Cat was just takeing the chance, I dont blame the cat I blame ME! I am upset that it could of been MUCH worse and that Jose was upset and bleeding and I had to find him like that . He seems to be okay just some superficial wounds(superfical is still PAINFUL) hence the calm room and Vet gave him a little pain reliever when we were there. I on the other hand am a mess I truly know better and like I said am in search of a better safer cage.

Wow you guys are quick, I hadnt even finished my last post but couldnt edit I took too long.LOL
I wish I could have a room for just my chinnies but the only room that locks is my bedroom and I need to sleep. I just re arranged their cages and had them on nice rolling stands, that has changed now they were too accesible to the cat.
Jose is resting comfortabley he still wont twich his whiskers on the side that got bit and his ear is scratched so he wont lift that either :cry4: he still is giving kisses and eating hay, after he looks at it, I tried to give him a cherrio with Benebac on it and he was NOT immpressed.
I am searching for a sturdy safe cage , the girls are in a Chinnie mansion, but I had all these ferret cages almost new so I figured I would give him bigger and better, I feel so Guilty right now.

I would keep a VERY close eye on the wounds, cats can give chinchillas pasteurella which is VERY serious and sometimes fatal. I would keep the wounds very clean and watch for any signs of irritation or infection...

Instead of benebac I recommend capsule acidophilus, the highest count you can find. Is he eating? Sometimes with baytril or even injuries you have to hand feed chins Critical Care.

Oh thank you Stackie, I always have acidolfolus(even if I cant spell it) on hand for myself and my kids it is the highest count I can find, I also have probotics for humans if I can use them. He is eating and loving his Mom(not me my daughter) he keeps butting his head under her chin, makes me sad.
The Vet shaved the area that are punctured and I have a first aid kit specifically for animals so I have really good Vet quality antibotic cleaners.
I was worried about infection too thats why the Baytril, I know it hurts their tummies but the alternative is worse. I will be giving him his first dose in about an hour. I wanted him to settle down before I have to burrito him again. He has a cut right by his eye other than saline is there something else I can use??
BTW he is eating both hay and pellets I will be watching him through the night again just to make sure he doesnt go down hill.

Well, we certainly wish him the best. It could have been a much worse situation and hopefully this one will have a happy ending. Keep watching him for a few days to make sure he isn't hiding something more serious.

As stated Baytril is notorious for causing a loss of appetite so I would get some Critical Care to have on hand now so that if you notice the chinnie not eating (or track his weight) you can start to hand feed right away as chins need to keep their gut moving. I am sorry your chinnie went through his ordeal, I wish him the best!

Baytril does not upset their tummies, it just tastes so bad that they don't want to eat. Just give the chin a cheerio after the dose of Baytril and he should be fine.

I always give him a chaser is Cherrio or hay after his Baytril. Antibiotics are famous for tummy aches though so I am not takeing any chances I got all that he needs for tummy relief.

Jose Update

Well the little guy is doing well, his wounds are staying infection free and he is pouting about not having a dust bath. He will get a go ahead on Thursday IF his wounds are closeing and his eye looks better.
Sad thing is though he wont eat, I got CC in him and am force feeding him ,but I noticed a HUGE bruise right by his jaw and it almost seems as though that side of his head is paralized :thinking: I am hoping when the swelling and bruising goes away he will regain full use of that side of his head.
He is on Matacam once a day for pain which seems to be helping.
Well thats it for now. I did notice him sneaking a bit of cherrios and his apple branch so I am seeing progress with the food thing just not enough.

Latest posts

Back