MRSA in hedgies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thistlesmom

Hey everyone,

This is more of just a post of interest for everyone with hedgehogs. I was recently diagnosed with MRSA, the superbug. It's not too serious or anything but I got to reading about it and came across something that said you could get it from pets.

Some of you may remember that Thistle the hedgehog went through an infection/cancer ordeal a year ago which resulted in her losing a leg. In addition to the cancer she had multiple infections and I rememberd she was on a number of antibiotics at once. I contacted my vet and she forwarded me Thistle's records and sure enough Thistle had mrsa last year. So one of us most likely gave it to the other. Just thought it was interesting to note as I wasn't aware something like that was ever in hedgies or could be passed between us! :)

Nicole, sorry to hear you got the super bug! Thanks for sharing the info on it being tranferable between hedgehogs and humans--hopefully you'll get it cleared up and you won't have to worry about it again.

Back