Moving from FL to ME

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mermaidmob

I’ll be moving my two chins from Florida to Maine very soon and I’m really not sure what the best way to do it is. I have a boy and girl in separate cages. I do have carriers for them to ride in during the day. Since it will take a few days to
make it up to Maine, it doesn’t seem fair to leave them in the carriers that long. Does anybody have any suggestions?

What I've seen others do is get small fold-able travel cages, so when you stop for the night you can take them out of the carriers and put them in the cages. Something like this for example Folding Cage
Another option is getting a dog playpen you can set up in the hotel room to let them each have some time to stretch their legs, but then put them back in the carriers once you go to bed. Like these Dog Pen

Just another word of advice, since you didn't say with kind of carriers you are using, you'll want metal carriers not plastic or fabric. The hard plastic cat/small dog carriers are normally fine for short trips like to the vet, most chins just sleep during travel, but if stuck in them for hours or days chins can get bored and chew their way out.

What I've seen others do is get small fold-able travel cages, so when you stop for the night you can take them out of the carriers and put them in the cages. Something like this for example Folding Cage
Another option is getting a dog playpen you can set up in the hotel room to let them each have some time to stretch their legs, but then put them back in the carriers once you go to bed. Like these Dog Pen

Just another word of advice, since you didn't say with kind of carriers you are using, you'll want metal carriers not plastic or fabric. The hard plastic cat/small dog carriers are normally fine for short trips like to the vet, most chins just sleep during travel, but if stuck in them for hours or days chins can get bored and chew their way out.
Okay thank you! I’ll look into the cages you suggested!

I’ll be moving my two chins from Florida to Maine very soon and I’m really not sure what the best way to do it is. I have a boy and girl in separate cages. I do have carriers for them to ride in during the day. Since it will take a few days to
make it up to Maine, it doesn’t seem fair to leave them in the carriers that long. Does anybody have any suggestions?
You should consider breaks in pet-friendly hotels, providing larger spaces for exercise. Ensure comfort, limit stress during the trip for your chinchillas.

Moving with pets can be tricky, but it sounds like you're taking good care of your chinchillas! If you're looking for accommodations during your trip, you might want to check out pet-friendly hotels along the way. Websites like www.junglevistahotel.com could help you find suitable options for both you and your furry friends.

Last edited:
Back