Mean Lil Hedgie... Help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PandaBear

My baby hedgehog bites and its not a nice one he is very aggressive when he does it... he bites real hard real quick...

i don't know what to do to prevent this problem can someone please help i know there must be some way to prevent this bad habit.

Hedgies can bite for a number of different reasons.

A few thoughts off the top of my head are:
- you have an unfamiliar (you are new to your baby) or strong scent (either something yummy so hedgie thinks you are food or something he does not like/is scary)
- your baby is scared
- your baby has learned that if he bites, you'll have a certain reaction (like putting him back in his cage) and he likes that reaction

So you can do things like making sure you wash with the same unscented soap each time before you pick him up. Pick him up differently (sing to him before picking him up, give him more time to get used to you). React differently upon being bitten (hold him in a fleece blanket instead of setting him back down).

But, really, your solution will depend more on what's going on for you and your hedgie. How old is your baby and how long have you had him? Under what circumstances does he bite?

Also do not feed him from your hand. Quick bites may be an instinct to snatch up bugs (if he thinks movement might be dinner). If you want to offer treats, offer them in a small dish so he learns that food is not in your hand.

Back