Maybe new chinchilla owner.......

• Thread starter 1_animal_@_a_time
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1_animal_@_a_time

So i might be getting a chinchilla. I've been researching them alot, and there are exactly what i've been wanting. But of course i have some questions. I've read a bunch of threads and i know what kind of food is good. What chins should and shouldnt have. And i am going to get the Ferret Nation cage for my chinchillas. I would get a pair from a shelter. But I have a question. The closest chins to me are and hour away which is not bad at all. They would cost $120.

But i found a chin that would come with her supplies. Im not sure if the chin or the supplies would cost any money or not. But the problem is that they are 3hours away. The owner can no longer take care of her. And they plan to do interviews for the potiental new owners. Would i not have a chance at them wanting to give me their chin. Or will they not want me to have her i have never had chins b4?

I would email them and ask them ahead of time if they are willing to give the chin to a new chin owner over an experienced owner. Present them with the information you've learned, that might help too.

"Or will they not want me to have her i have never had chins b4? "

That will depend entirely on the chinchilla's current owner. Putting myself in those shoes (*shudder* giving up my boys), I wouldn't be opposed to them going to a first time Chinchilla owner if that owner showed me he/she had researched the animal and was prepared for the responsibility. Have you printed any information out? Throw it in a folder or something and take that with you if you try to take the Craigslist/whatever private adoption thing. Also, go into it armed with the name of a good vet in your area that knows chins. It's as much about asking the right questions on your part to figure out if it's a good situation for you as the adopter as it is putting the former owner's minds at ease about the home their chin(s) might be going in to.

But that said, have you gone to Petfinder?

I found the chin that is 3hours away on petfinder. On adoptable pets.

Okay, then considering it's a 3 hr. drive, I'd definitely call and try to do a phone interview and mention that you'd be a first time chin owner. It might save you a headache + long drive. Is this chin through a specific rescue on Petfinder or is it a courtesy listing? If it's a courtesy listing, be careful; hopefully they'll know what they're doing and such, but sometimes a courtesy listing posted by a dog/cat/reptile rescue won't know if the chinchilla hasn't been fed/kept properly. I'd trust a chin-specific rescue before a courtesy post just for the chin's own safety and health.

Well, welcome to the forum and becoming a new chin owner. Being prepared and knowledgable is "everything" with these little guys. I do recommend you not get too old of chins. Probably make it easier for you. Good luck with your search and you'll do just fine. Also, too, you can be a little picky too. These guys can live a long time with the proper care and you want to be sure you're getting what you want. Keep us updated!

I did a search on petfinder for IL and it looks like they are all chin rescues (some on here). I would contact them to fill out an adoption application. Generally rescues charge an adoption fee, so don't expect them to want to give it to you if you are approved. Click on the rescue link (not the pet) and it should tell you adoption fees and how to get an adoption application to fill out.

Last edited:
I am getting my first chin on Friday and when I spoke with the owner, I told them the reasons why I wanted a chin, had a list of questions prepared, joined this forum and learned a lot before I went to meet with his owner and get to meet him too. Everything worked out wonderfully and she told me that day that I could adopt him! I have a Critter Nation cage....very similiar to the FN you are getting. (The situation was also similiar and his owner was moving and unable to take him)

My advice would be contact the owner, make and appointment and take a folder full of info and questions, plus the vet like 3csmommy said. You never know! Then if that does not work, try a rescue and I am sure you will find the perfect chin/chins for you. Good Luck and keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back