Kacking randomly

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kendra

Ferdinand has been sort of odd today, when I'm giving him scritches he kacks at random times then goes back to his chirpy noise. I don't quite understand, he backs up a bit but then goes back and cuddles. He even hopped out of his cage and snuggled into my lap and did the same thing- chirpy then kacking every so often.

Anyone had this happen before, it's not like him. He had some conjunctivitis and it looks like it may be coming back, so I'm going to call the vet in the morning to get an opinion, but could it be because of discomfort or pain? Could it be that he's just acting odd for no real reason? Any/all of the above?

I'm not sure if I'm describing it well, but it's odd and worrying. Like I said I'm going to get an opinion from the vet, take him in if she says so, I've got some eye drops if she says to do those again but if it's pain I don't know if the drops are going to help, but I don't know what could be causing pain. I could be being over anxious, I just worry.

How are his poops are urine? Does he seem to make the noises when going to the bathroom? Is he eating normally? Acting lethargic or anything?

When he had conjunctivitis did the vet do x rays to rule out any teeth problems? If not, I would get some taken just in case- it sounds like maybe he is sore where you were giving him scritches? Could be from a tooth problem.

It could be nothing but if your gut tells you something seems wrong I would go with it, better safe than sorry. You know your chinchilla better than anyone. Best wishes for him!

I agree with the x-ray idea. Sometimes it just looks like eye issues, but if he is showing signs of discomfort, better safe than sorry. Has he fallen, even a short distance fall lately??? Chins can be clumsy-maybe he did damage to his jaw/tooth area.

Either way, don't stress yourself out, just get some more info from the vet when you go:thumbsup:

Thanks, the first time I went he did not have x-rays I should have just in case, I got him from a pet store (bad bad) and so terrified that some health problem will show up. It appears everything is a ok though, she couldn't find anything wrong. He had fallen from a shelf (well jumped for one and missed) so that could have been it. He's acting normal now, a bit more skiddish than normal but I did introduce a new play area and my evening schedule changed so maybe he has been stressing out with all the changes.

Thanks everyone!

Chins can have mood swings just like anybody else can. He may have just been having an off day and was not wanting to be messed with.

If everything else is normal, then he probably just wants to be left alone for a little while.

Bambi will kack at random when she gets scritches but she will not move away. She's always done this. By her reactions, my guess is that it feels too good and she just can't handle it.

We have chinchillas that love being scritched around the ears, and then when you move closer to their behind, they'll kak at us. And then they'll keep kacking until you go away. I never thought it could be because they enjoy it too much they can't handle it. Maybe that could be true! :thinking:

We have chinchillas that love being scritched around the ears, and then when you move closer to their behind, they'll kak at us. And then they'll keep kacking until you go away. I never thought it could be because they enjoy it too much they can't handle it. Maybe that could be true! :thinking:

could be possible, my cat at my parents would hiss at a toy when he got too frustrated but keep playing and purring in between hisses.

Guess I learn something new all the time. The just having a bad day type thing could be possible too!

Back