Just got my first hedgie! Have some questions?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

CarleyAnn

Last night I got Owen, my baby boy hedgehog.
I'm still scared about picking him up without the towel

He loves to roam around everywhere
I know I have to play with him constantly for him to get used to me
But how long until he can fully trust me? and i can pick him up without being scared to death that i'm going to get pricked?

Any info on what to expect the first couple days would be greatly appreciated! Will post pics :)

P.s he always just sits in one spot and stares.. is this normal?

Hedgies take a loooong time to warm up. I've had Marcel since March and I still use a piece of fleece or a hedgie bag to pick him up. I think it's more comfy for both of us. And he wouldn't sit calmy in my lap until he got an infection and I had to feed him antibiotics twice a day so he was getting his personal space invaded a lot. So I guess I would say handle him a lot, but within reason. You don't want to stress him out too much since EVERYTHING around him is different and brand new and scary right now. Bribe him with mealworms too, but not too many since they are a sometimes food. And they're shy. I'll hear Marcel running on his wheel from the other room and come in to catch him doing it, and as soon as I open the door, he is like a deer in the headlights. I still haven't seen him run on his wheel for more than half a second in the 6 months I've had him. Anyway, good luck and let us know of your progress with Owen!

He is just getting used to his new environment. Be patient and gentle, he'll warm up eventually in his own way. Do try to keep his diet steady (no new foods or changes) for at least a few weeks if not a month. The last thing you want to do is struggle with an upset tummy and a grumpy or freightened hog.

Back