I've been bitten

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

Wickle_Man

So, I just got a hedgehog and I'm attempting to bond with it.
It's bitten me about 3 times. Is this normal at first, and is there anything I can do to help it not bite me so much, or if possible, not at all?
Any tips on this or general hedgehog care would be greatly appreciated.

I am no expert, I have only had my hedgie for about a month. But I have been bitten a few times. Mostly, he bites me if my fingers smell like food. One time, I had just marinated some pork chops, and I eveidently hadn't washed the smell away entirely, because he went to town on my fingers, and then anointed (which is kind of gross, by the way)

Thank you for your help.
Maybe he smelled the hot cheetos on my fingers?

Just wash your hands with an unscented or lightly scented soap before handling. And keep at it (handling him).
The only time I've been bitten is when I neglected to wash after eating chocolate, so i really couldn't blame her.

Took lil ol Lazarus out today. He bit me twice, and I made sure not to flinch. After the second time, he seemed to give up. Yay me!:dance3:

Ensure that each time he bites you that you continue to hold him. Whatever you do don't put him back in his cage or put him down. This will only encourage the biting behaviors. I don't know how old your hedgehog is, but it could be that he learned that biting got him what he wanted (back in his cage) with his previous owner.

I have never been bitten by either of my hedgies. We had Snowball for three years before she passed away and Luna's just turned a year old. I have been annointed on though, lol. But I agree with Kalandra, continue to hold him anyways after he bites. If he learns that biting doesnt get him anywhere (or back in the cage) and that it doesnt effect you, he will give it up. Good luck!

Ensure that each time he bites you that you continue to hold him. Whatever you do don't put him back in his cage or put him down. This will only encourage the biting behaviors. I don't know how old your hedgehog is, but it could be that he learned that biting got him what he wanted (back in his cage) with his previous owner.

Hmmm... if you say so! Here's a thread about biting

I've had a lot of success by scolding them with a quick tap on the nose with my finger and verbally scolding. What I think happens is that the tap on their sensitive nose is just enough to get them to let go, and the yelling makes them scared to not do it again.

I've put my hedgehog back in her cage for being bad because I figure she likes to be out of her cage where there are softer blankets and mealworms. IDK Maybe I just got really lucky/blessed. Sweet Pea eventually learned what happened when she was a good girl and when she was bad. Hopefully Mika learns too... that little poop machine!:rofl:

I'd trust others though, I'm no hedgehog expert and have only had one so far.:wink2:

Latest posts

Back