Is long term critical care feeding bad for chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Skippy

Some of you may remember the long term problems Skippy was having with constipation. She used to have regular bouts of it no matter what I did. It got really bad last Summer when she was getting constipated nearly once a week. However, we have managed to "cure" the problem for now by giving her a small syringe full of critical care every evening. Since we began this, she has not had any constipation at all.

My question is: Is eating critical care long term bad for her?

The amount we give her every evening is only about 12-15cc and she still eats the normal amount of hay and pellets.

Thanks

hmm... not sure, but I've read of other members giving Lifeline in a similar fashion to a supplement. Maybe someone else more knowledgeable will post.

I don't see any reason that CC would be bad long-term. It's too bad that you can't figure out the cause of the constipation though :/. Is she drinking plenty of water? If she is eating the normal amounts of hay and pellets and chewing on other materials to keep her teeth trim on her own and you have exhausted the search for the cause, then I think it is fine that you are supplementing.

I don't think she was ever a heavy drinker :laughitup:. Yet in the beginning she only got constipated every few months or so. We were giving her a syringe of water every night but she would only take it when mixed with apple juice and I definitely did not want to do that long term. Anyway, that seemed to stop working last Summer so for now, the critical care is working well. And she absolutely loves it!! When she hears me starting to mix it togther she runs around my feet squeaking until I give it to her-so cute!

I'd try some Lifeline mixed to a thick paste, and lt her eat it off a spoon - works well to get a chins gut back to normal, and might even get her to drink more water. Try it for a week - 10 days.
Ever try a different water bottle?

Last edited:
There is no normal when it comes to Skippy's gut!!
Her bottle isn't a problem. She drinks from it no bother. It's just that she doesn't seem to drink a load.

I don't think that Critical Care with pellets and hay long term is bad, but I've seen first hand what it can do to teeth if they aren't also eating their regular diet and are relying solely on critical care for their nutrition. If they aren't eating normally, their teeth aren't being worn normally.

If you're just giving it in that small of an amount, I wouldn't worry about it Christina. Just to maintain weight (and I personally think this varies) you have to use 45 mL of critical care a day, and you are well below that.

Whatever side effects it may have long term, if it is the only thing keeping her from becoming constipated than I dont think its an option not to...... you know what I mean. Like with my moms dog and steriods it has horrible long term effects but he wouldnt be able to walk without them. So I guess thats a risk to take when you are trying to sustain a good quality of life.

I would worry about the teeth getting worn down- but I can't imagine it would be a problem in the quanitity you are giving her.

Just a thought, but have you tried switching her food? I had a chin that would not drink water- we had to force feed her and use water bowls for months and months, and finally, we switched food for the rest of the chins (she didn't eat either) and by the grace of God, she started eating again! A chin that is not eating well is not drinking well either, and vice versa. Just a thought and maybe worth a shot. PANR is a hit here.

As long as Skippy is eating hay and pellets to wear her teeth down, supplementing with CC isn't an issue.

After his last dental Tucker was having some digestive issues. After he went off the Critical Care his poops looked like undigested hay. I tried to up his water intake and found that he will happily suck down a 12 cc syringe of water if it has an acidophilus capsule dissolved in it. Not only did he get his water, but the acidophilus was good for his gut too.

Skippy still eats her normal amount of pellets and hay so I don't need to woory about her teeth not being worn down.

Chinniechantel - I don't think her food is an issue. I did change her food a while ago (over a year ago), not because of this problem but because I couldn't get the original one. She is on Oxbow now and eats just as much of them as the original food, so in that respect, I wouldn't see any reason to change it again.

Thanks everyone who replied to this message :wave3:

Back