Introducing baby chin with adult chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warmice

Full-Time Chinnies Parent
Hi i'm new here and i have some questions on hand and i barely could find any help online.

I currently owns a 1 yr old violet chin name mitten. I need help about pairing my chinchilla with a 2 months old chinchilla. I tried pairing her with another 3 years old female but it was a failed attempt after trying for 4 months. (We tried all the methods we could find in the net except the sqashing methods.) But they just couldn't get along. So we decided to pair our 1 yr old with a 2 months old chinchilla whom had just wean from his mom.

Will there by any danger for the young chinchilla?
How should i introduce them is then the safest way?
Will this ensure a successful pairing?

I really would want mitten to get a friend soon. :cry3:

Your help is deeply appricated. Thanks

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Why are you pairing her with a 2 month old male chin? Are you planning on breeding? Even so, that is way too young to know if he is of breeding quality. Do you have breeding experience? I would suggest getting her a same sex friend instead.

I agree with Chantel. You don't pair a 2 month old male with a female. That's just not a great idea. He could end up being a 300 gm fur chewer with crappy fur and rotten quality. There's no way to know until he's adult enough to figure it out. He needs to stay with a male chin, your female needs to either stay with a female chin or alone, unless your intention is to breed her, in which case, find her an adult male who complements her.

Besides the age issue, you would also need to do a quarantine of at least a month. That means the little one would need to be in a separate cage and separate room for a month.

I agree, you are taking a big chance putting a 2 month old male in with a 3 year old female. This could result in injury or death to the little guy. If you feel that the female needs a buddy, try another female.

Thank you for the quick replies! Yup. We'll quarantine the kit when it comes over. The reason why we are getting this new kit instead of a full grown because it is really hard to find chinchilla here in Singapore as it is too overpriced in pet shops. As this new kit is a gift from a friend.

Latest posts

Back