Importing wood?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

button

Totally cute and adorable
I'm not sure if this in the right area, so sorry if I messed this up :p

Does anyone in the UK import any wood from from the USA? Certain wood types are super expensive and I can probably get it cheaper abroad but I can't find anyway that says if it will get stopped by customs or even if I can bring it into the country etc.

Can anyone offer me any advice on this?

Claire D used to order wood from PPBN and have it imported. You might want to check with her and see what's required.

I need to check the DEFRA email & website I got - will do that & report back. :yes:

Sorry it's taken a while. I managed to dig out the emails I got in 2009 when I asked ....

Sent: 17 August 2009 09:46 To: com Subject: Response to your Query : - Ref:DWOE000147177 - Importing wood into the UK
Dear Claire Thank you for your email of 12 August. You will be able to bring the wooden toys as there are no restrictions on bringing manufactured articles of wood into the UK from the USA. I hope this is helpful. Yours sincerely,

I then queried whether that included natural wood with the bark on which had been scrubbed & dried ......

Dear Claire,

Thank you for your email below which has been passed to me by my colleagues in FC's National Office in England for a reply.

I note that my colleagues in Defra have commented on the fact that there are no restrictions on manufactured items of wood arriving from the USA or indeed any other country and therefore the unanswered part of your question relates to the importation of natural wood which has been prepared via scrubbing and drying.

This part of the question is not so easy to answer as it very much depends of the species of wood that you intend to import and whether or not your reference to drying means kiln-drying to a minimum moisture content of less than 20%.

I would therefore suggest that you refer to our wood importers guide which is available on our website at -

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/FCPH001.pdf/$FILE/FCPH001.pdf

and review the tables Appendix 4 .

Newsletter No 25 attached provides an additional table for the landing requirements for wood of ash and some other less common imported species which were subjected to new controls in April this year. If the species that you deal in are not listed as regulated species then you can import them with bark on and without them being subjected to any special measures.

I hope that this helps.

Regards
Newsletter No 25

Attachments

• Newsletter No 25 February2009RBCom.pdf
    202.9 KB · Views: 2
Back