how exactly does fleece work?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cmills5081

Hi I have been doing a lot of reading on here and it seems like instead of putting bedding on the entire bottom floor people put fleece on the botton then a designated area od the bedding I guess? I'm just curious on how exactly u do this n if it always works. Any hints or tips about it would be great cuz I would love that idea for wen I get my chin next week. So the questions are how does the fleece go in the cage? Where and in what do I put bedding? Does this always work? And whatever else u might think is important to know thank you!! :)

I dont use bedding at all - just fleece in my cages that have 1-2 chins. I sew my own liners specific to each cage, with grommets (holes) at each corner, which allows me to attack the liner to the corner of the cage with large binder rings. Every week I toss the liners in the tub & hose off any loose hay or poops that didnt come off when I shook them out, then put them in the wash with a bit of baking soda. Tumble dry low, or air dry, and put back into the cage.

For cages with 3-5 chins, I figure out where they tend to pee the most, then use a heavy crock/dish with pelleted pine bedding as their 'potty' area. I change the litter when needed, and wash the liners once a week like the other cages. Most of the time the chins go in the potty area, but I do have a couple gals who like to be stubborn & pee directly on the fleece. But since I wash them every week, its not a big concern. Each liner is 2 layers of very thick fleece, and its absorbant enough that it doesnt smell at all.

I have 2 fleece sets for each cage, so while one set is washing, they have a nice clean set to romp on. If you browse around in the housing area, you'll see lots of other posts about fleece liners, and many people have pictures of their cages with liners in them.

If you're interested in trying the idea - I make custom fit liners, as do several other members on here. You can buy mine thru Wunderchins.com - or search thru classifieds section for other sellers.
~Barb~

Latest posts

Back