how easily can chins break their bones?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SSGSteane

One of my chins ran very hard into something and made a squeak, so I am guessing it hurt. Should I be concerned? How do I check for broken bones? What are some signs of injury?

What did he/she run into? Did they hit head-first? Their limbs and ribs can be fragile, but if it was head-first, I doubt anything is broken - possibly just a bruise. If a limb is broken, he/she would likely be favoring it to at least some degree. They do hide injuries well, but if anything was seriously wrong, you'd likely see at least some change in activity/appetite/personality. I'd just keep an eye on him/her for now and watch for any changes - but if you have serious concerns, you can always go for xrays.

What did he/she run into? Did they hit head-first? Their limbs and ribs can be fragile, but if it was head-first, I doubt anything is broken - possibly just a bruise. If a limb is broken, he/she would likely be favoring it to at least some degree. They do hide injuries well, but if anything was seriously wrong, you'd likely see at least some change in activity/appetite/personality. I'd just keep an eye on him/her for now and watch for any changes - but if you have serious concerns, you can always go for xrays.

well I just leave the cage open at night and let them run around in the bedroom for about an hour and today she was running and then jumped into the cage and I think landed or hit her house. How much do x rays cost?

I apologize if I'm misreading, but you really shouldn't let your chin run unsupervised, no matter how "chin safe" the room is - they can and will manage to get into something they shouldn't. Is she acting like herself - normal activity level/eating/drinking etc - or is she more reserved/lethargic than usual? If so, even if nothing is broken, she may be in pain... depending how much pain they're in, it can sometimes cause them to stop eating, so keep a close eye on her food intake.
As far as xrays, it really depends on the vet - ours run around 140 for two exposures, but I think it's more expensive than normal because the animal hospital is part of a vet school.

I just close the doors off the hallway, block the open end with tall cardboard and sit on the floor with the chins for about 30 minutes. They don't have to be out every night, some chins never get out, but 2-3 times a week works for us. Many have supervised play in the bathroom. Keep the toilet closed and dry the bathtub, they need to stay dry.
How is she now?

Back