hot chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lauramariel

I feel sooo bad right now it's not even funny. I accidentally left the heat on in my house all day and it got really hot like probably 85-90... we have an old gas heater.. so I got home and my poor guy is lethargic as can be.. ears bright red.. I almost cried.. I reached to touch him and he jumped.. that's a good sign right??

I put a bag of frozen fruit in a pillowcase and put it in there. He laid on it... put fresh water in his bottle.. opened all windows turned off the heat.. the room wasn't cooling down fast enough so I picked his entire cage up and put it in the hallway outside my apartment which was much cooler.. he is better now his ears are normal color.. but he's still just sitting there but sometimes he does that.. but he is no longer laying on the frozen fruit.. I fed him a raisin and he ate it.. do you think he's going to be ok? Or should I take him to the vet just in case?

Watch him. If he's up, acting normally, eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping, hopefully he came through it fine.

Be really careful on the drinking aspect. Since he seriously overheated, he may very well be dehydrated.

If he seems listless still, if he is unsteady on his feet, if he doesn't seem to be doing the above normally, then you need to see a vet as soon as possible.

Back