Here we go again

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mummypig

Poppy isnt well now! :hair: I guess whatever Jasmine had was pretty contagious considering they werent in close proximity at all. She's not eating her pellets and is looking a bit glum. I popped into the vets and chatted to the vet that treated Jasmine and she gave me some more Baytril for her. She's not had a weight loss (in fact has gained) but I'm not taking any chances at all. She's still bright and alert so I'm hopeful that I've caught it early this time. I did notice her poos were smaller than normal - not worryingly small and hard etc but just a little bit smaller than normal Poppy poop.

Wish us luck!

Can someone just tell me if I'm doing the right thing?

Poppy is on day 3 of Baytril - has no appetite (Jasmine didnt either) So I'm syringe feeding CC which is going well as she likes it (wont take if off a spoon though). She's also not drinking anything, so I'm syringe feeding her 4 mls of water after the CC. Is this ok? is there something I can do to entice her to eat or drink? I've done the raisin rubbing on the water bottle but she's not interested. Weight is ok - no loss. Poop is smaller but there's still lots of it!!

Can someone just tell me if I'm doing the right thing?

Poppy is on day 3 of Baytril - has no appetite (Jasmine didnt either) So I'm syringe feeding CC which is going well as she likes it (wont take if off a spoon though). She's also not drinking anything, so I'm syringe feeding her 4 mls of water after the CC. Is this ok? is there something I can do to entice her to eat or drink?

It freaked me out when Furby was on Baytril and didn't drink, but that's actually normal because when you mix the CC, you use more water than the chin would drink on its own. So yeah they aren't likely to be thirsty when on frequent hand-feeding.

Thank you! I know it's normal for them to lose appetite on Baytril so that, coupled with feeling poorly and all the water used for handfeeding... It makes sense! Just wanted to check with the gurus :)

Phew. She's all better. God bless Baytril and handfeeding! She didnt lose weight at all (infact gained 40g!! Think we might have over done the hand feeding ) and she got a bit of bloat just like Jasmine did but nothing a little simethicone and belly rubs didnt fix. She's back to stuffing her face and pooping for Britain. Hopefully once this dreaded illness is well over I can introduce my girls!! How long do you think I should leave it to make sure they're completely over their virus?

YAY I'm very glad that your girls are all better. I have no idea on when you should introduce them, I'm sure someone knows but I just wanted to say I'm happy all is well in Mummypig world.

I would wait about a month before introducing them. That will give her system time to get back to normal and make sure that the virus is no longer present.

Latest posts

Back