Help! :[

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

peacelovepiphi

Dont get me wrong. My chin is normally pretty flitty when I go to get her out of her cage.. but for the past 3 days, she has been waking me up at night with barking and worried squeaking. She won't let me get near her back half (top or bottom) to pet her or to gently pick her up without aggressively barking or biting (HARD). She has never been like this before. This, in itself isnt an emergency. I know that. But I would finally get a hold of her each day and do an inspection of every limb, look into her ears a little bit and then check her underside. Everything looked fine until today. There are three small inflamed pink/red bumps on and around her anus (not urethral cone, as far as I can see) that I know were not there before. I'm not positive if this is the reason she is so sensitive in her rear region, but I was wondering if it was anything anyone has seen before?? (Note, they look different than a bugbite, I will post pictures asap) There is a vet very nearby that I know that I can contact if this is something that I need to take immediate action on. She is only about 3.5 months old (Chantel would know exactly how old! <3) so I'm pretty sure she isnt in heat. Other than all of this she is eating/drinking/peeing/pooping all normally. Thank you for your help and I am REALLY sorry for the long post, I am just worried about my baby "/

Thanks,
Taylor

When I first read your post my thought was it's a boy and the "red bumps" along side the anus (though there would be only 2 and not 3) could be testicles, however, after reading that you got your girl from Chantel I no longer would suspect that since she knows how to properly sex chins for sure! I wish you and your chinnie the best, I have never read about nor had personal experience with anything like this before.

i dont know what it could be. im sorry. Just get it to the vet

Hi Taylor,

I know you're worried. If you can, try to contact Chantel. You're not too far from her are you? She's the closest one on the forum to you.

You may want to take the shavings or liners out of her cage and lay down paper towel. That way, you can accurately guage her poo and pee. It's kind of hard to tell the pee especially in shavings and liners.

Have you moved her cage recently to a higher traffic area in your home and maybe that has been scaring her? Do you have any pets that could have gotten near her and scared her or swapped at her?

I don't know what the red bumps are, but I'm thinking something scared her. Chins are prey animals and don't usually (in my experience) react to pain/illness in this way. Normally, they would hide it.

I don't know if this helps, but if I ever grab Baxter by his tail for any reason he will bark at me if I poke his butt. Even if I just lightly touch his fur.

The only other pet in my apartment is a beta fish, and her cage hasnt moved at all "/ shes been getting the same amounts of play time as normal, and I am always VERY careful about supervising her no matter what. I'm going to call the vet in the morning and see if I can take her by between my classes tomorrow and figure this out. "/ she seems so unhappy... its unbearable. ill keep everybody updated.

Good luck!

I know how you feel about the unhappiness issue. When I got Murphy all he would do is bark and make miserable noises. He was like that the first two weeks I had him and I even had to force feed him because he stopped eating/drinking. He is happy as a dandelion now though, so hopefully you determine the cause and can get it all worked out.

Back