Help with chinchilla seizures

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PebblesandBubba

I have a 1 and a half year old chinchilla, female, who has been having seizures ever since I got her at 8 weeks old. They never occured more than once a month, usually every 2-3 months. I took her to the vet and they took a blood sample and said that there was nothing abnormal there and said it was probably a brain tumor or epilepsy. This vet was very rushed and told me this all in under a minute, so I didn't really take it meaningful and instead joined chins-n-hedgies to find some answers. Now, a year after the blood results, the seizures are occuring more frequently and for longer periods of time. She had one about a week ago and again tonight. I tried using corn syrup to help but it took awhile for her to snap out of it (about a minute). When she seizures, she starts to go really slow around the room and then freezes and shakes, her back end gives out and she crawls around dazed in circles for a minute then shes totally fine and running around again and eating. They have always occured when she's out about, running around the room, but lately its happened in her cage or after only a couple minutes playing. I really want to know what is wrong with her, but the vet in the area doesn't have the time to sit down and talk about her seizures with me. I was wondering if anyone else might have a clue what it is. Anything would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not all that experienced with seizures, but have done some reading on them. It sounds like she might be having hypoglycemic seizures, since they all occur when she is out at playtime or when she is being active. What kind of food are you feeding her?

How long are her playtimes? You may have to try cutting back. I know raisins are bad, but you can try giving her half a raisin before her play time to increase her blood sugar. Just so that you aren't pumping her full of raisins, you may have to limit her playtimes to twice a week or so. I know that dyne is also pretty high in sugar, you could try giving her a drop of that as well before/after she runs.

Chinchillas can be treated for epilepsy with phenobarbitol and valium just like humans but you need to find a vet who will treat it, alot so it seems wont and opt to tell the owner to euthanize.

Have you tried stopping all exercise & monitoring whether the chin has any further fits?
Does the cage have a wheel in it? If so, I would also remove that & see if it makes a difference.

does the chinchilla have a salt block? I have seen well intentioned owners providing products with salt added and too much salt can cause seizures....

I feed them oxbow pellets and I don't use a salt block. I don't think it is hypoglycemia because the corn syrup I gave her didn't have an effect (I previously thought it was hypoglycemia) I talked to a vet at my work today, although she doesnt have much knowledge of chins, she did say that since it has been happening since she was a baby that it is most likely epilepsy because it is something that is with an animal its whole life and most likely not a brain tumor because those usually develop as they age. I will look into treatments, of course, because she is my first and favorite chin!

I appreciate that you don't think it is hypoglycaemia but have you actively ruled that out?
I would be very reluctant to jump to epilepsy (which needs medication) without some further investigation - sometimes it is the simple things which can make all the difference. Until you have ruled hypoglycaemia out as a possible cause I'd want to see if stopping all exercise & removing any wheel from the cage makes a difference.

I've had two chins that had regular seizures. One was tested and showed very little activity on one side of her brain. She had a birth defect and could not hop straight and had to be in a one- level cage. We put her on phenobarbetrol and then did a controversial light and sound therapy that was developed for people with brain damage in Europe. She actually wore the human glasses and ear phones turned down. It was quite a sight. The therapy would totally relax her and the idea was to help stimulate each side of the brain basically. It made a huge difference in her case. I was lucky though and knew someone in the rabbit rescue that owned a machine.
She finally got to where her dosage was reduced. She regained her balance, stopped having seizures and had a much more normal life.

I don't think your case is exactly the same, bit there are options.

Back