Help! I think my chins have eatten ceramic!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bella

When my husband and I came home we noticed our girls' ceramic food dish had fallen and must have hit their metal chin wheel. There were two large pieces in the bottom of the cage and I managed to find only a small chunk of the remaining piece(s) which was on top of their wooden chin house... so I know they tampered with the extra piece(s). We have scowered through the shavings looked all around the cage and haven't been able to turn any other pieces up! Our vet isn't open at this time. What should I do? Any specific symptoms I should be keeping track of?! They seem to be their normal selves at this time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

I would take my chinchilla to the vet right away if it was me. I've had an x ray taken before on one of my girls stomachs to make sure everything was fine a few years ago and they only held her and didnt have to sedate her or anything.. I would take them asap and get them checked out,, if they ate any of the ceramic it can lodge in their stomach and cause tears and/or impaction, You should see that their pieces are normal and that they are eating and acting as they normally do. If the food dish wasnt on the bottom of the cage, because you said it fell im assuming it was on a shelf, that can be dangerous because it can fall off and injure the other chinchilla.

Well, now knowing they can throw their dish out of the corner ledge food holder my hubby made (which had a big lip I thought would keep the dish safe >.<) I wont be keeping any food uptop. I hated having it in the bottom and them getting shavings and poos in their food but I'll take that over ceramic dishes being consumed!
Luckily, I woke up to a strange tapping sound coming from my girls' cage. I watched for a minute and my girls were hopping all over. So, I walked over to see what was going on and Ony was trying to keep a large chunk of ceramic away from the little one! All the pieces are accounted for minus a little bit of the glaze that had chipped off. So I'll be running my girls to the vet in a bit just to ensure that their isnt anything going on inside. Thank goodness they seem to be their goofy little selves this morning!
My new goal for the day is to find the perfect food dish!

Thank you Pebblesandabby for your reply!

I really doubt that they are going to have any issues. Even if they did chew it, it's going to crumble into a dust like form and it shouldn't be an issue. If you don't want to run them to a vet on a Sunday (which can get reallllly spendy), you could just monitor them. Watch to see that they are peeing, pooping, eating, and drinking normally. Also, if they act like their normal chin selves (jumping, wheeling, etc.), then they should be fine.

Back