Hedgie Bath Time?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kitsune

I want to give my Hedgie a bath.
How would I go about doing that?

Like, how deep should the water be and how hot the water should be?

If you just need to do a foot bath I like to use a kitty litter pan (like a cheap one from WalMart). I use water that is warm, not hot. I always test it on my wrist - like you would for a baby. And keep checking it so that it doesn't get too cold for your hedgie. When I need to do a full bath, which isn't often because it can dry out their skin, I use my bathtub and fill the water only to the chin of the hedgie. I use a soft bristled toothbrush to "scrub" the quills (my hedgies love this - its like a massage). If you need to use soap find unscented, "no-tear", baby shampoo with oatmeal.
Good luck!! :)
Also when I give my hedgies a bath I always check their nails because its a good time to trim their nails (while they are soft).

My hedgie hates water! I give him quick little foot baths every morning because of the runs he does in his wheel at night. Is there any way I can get him to become a little more comfortable in a bath?

small amounts of water to start off with 1 inch, you will most likely need to drain it once or twince as the water makes them potty, If you feed mealworms I put a few in the water for mine to hunt for, she seems to like that, I also offer a ramp so she can come out of the water if she wishes,, the most important thing is to keep them warm after the bath, keeping them in a blanket or hedgie bag for 30 -45 minutes.

Hope this helps

Back